Senior Database Architect - Enterprise Systems & Data Analysis Research
CNA fosters an inclusive culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Our flexible and engaging work environment encourages iterative and creative collaboration at every stage of the problem solving process. Our employees are committed to helping clients develop effective solutions to better manage their programs through scientific, data-driven approaches.
We are looking for creative and innovative individuals to help carry out our mission.
This position provides technical expertise leading and supporting multiple client projects requiring cloud database architecture design. Works with clients and staff to design and implement database solutions in support of client business needs or research studies. Provides advice to clients and staff to develop technical solutions to complex problems.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES1. Database Architecture Design: Designs, models, documents, and guides the logical and conceptual relationship of data and database changes for complex applications. Analyzes needs and requirements of existing and proposed systems, and develops technical, structural, and organizational specifications. May create standards and/or do modeling to monitor and enhance capacity and performance. Communicates with technical, applications, and operational staff, in order to design an optimal database architecture (performance, accessibility, security, reporting, backup, and recovery plan). Analyzes and makes recommendations for improvements to existing software regarding database performance, stability, usability and scalability. Performs logical and physical data modeling, designs relational database models and creates physical data models from logical data models. Designs database servers and interfaces to improve database and application performance. Deploys, configures, monitors, and maintains databases in production, development, and quality assurance environments.
2. Cloud Integration: Designs, creates, maintains, and upgrades database architectures based on system requirements in a cloud environment; Applies understanding of cloud based architectures and works with DevOps and SecDevOps; Applies understanding of AWS-based architecture, Microsoft Azure based architecture and Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS);
3. Documentation: Manages database dictionaries, overall monitoring of standards and procedures, file design and storage, and integration of applications through database design. Develops and adheres to engineering and administration standards. Develops systems engineering documentation – requirements, data models, integration plans, design and architectures.
4. Project Management: Leads technical project work. Exercises considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignment. Works with managers, other team members and end-users to determine project goals and direction. Monitors and reports on tasks throughout the project. Guides and reviews other project work when necessary.
5. Technical currency: Considered an emerging authority, who applies extensive technical expertise. Keeps current with new technology, and complies with standards, procedures and system policies. Develops technical solutions to complex problems. Conducts research, as required, into current and emerging database and cloud technologies and issues in support of database architecture efforts.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS1. Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, engineering, or a related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
2. Experience: Minimum 8 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree or minimum 6 years of experience with a Master’s degree. AWS solutions architect and/or Azure solutions architect associate certification preferred.
Technical skills: demonstrated proficiency in working with databases such as MS SQL Server, Postgres, Oracle, Access, and/or Windows servers; knowledge and experience in web information architecture, programing, and cloud migration; knowledge of and experience with relational database management and administration such as MS SQL, PostgreSQL, MySQL; experience with at least one of the public cloud providers like AWS, Google Cloud Services, or Microsoft Azure; demonstrates extensive knowledge of all aspects of Database Engines (Managed Instances, Data Warehouse) including administration; experience in programming; experience in Software Development Lifecycle including requirements collecting and analysis, design, development, testing, implementing and deploying, and maintaining applications; experience with user interfaces, test strategies, test cases and test plans; ability to evaluate, install, and customize components for n-tier architecture and/or event-driven applications software on desktop systems and servers.
Project Management skills: ability to work collaboratively with other team members in a cross-collaborative environment, and to lead a technical team on complex projects producing quality work; strong interpersonal skills for interfacing with client representatives, internal customers, and vendor representatives; ability to proactively identify technical and project risks and mitigations; good organization skills and attention to detail; ability to write clear technical documentation and provide training.
Other Skills: Demonstrated initiative and ability to work well both independently and as a part of a team; excellent customer service skills and attitude; willingness to work and stay current with new technologies and work overtime when required; good oral and written communications skills.
4. Other: Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance.
Please include a personal statement as part of your application. A personal statement is a chance for us to get to know you. The statement is your opportunity to share your goals, interests, influences and show us that you will be a valuable asset to our organization. Please click here for personal statement guidelines – Click here
Personal statements will not be used as an elimination criteria for this position. They will only be used to enhance a candidate’s application.
CNA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service and protected veterans, or other non-merit based factors. In addition to federal legal requirements, CNA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. These protections extend to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting and hiring practices, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training and career development programs. For more information about EEO protections, please view the EEO is the law posters below: "EEO is the Law" Poster; "EEO is the Law" Poster Supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here: Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Poster
To be considered for hire, all individuals applying for positions with CNA are subject to a background investigation. For positions requiring access to classified information, U.S. citizenship is required. Individuals will also be subject to an additional government background investigation, and continued employment eligibility is contingent upon the ability to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
- Job Family Technical
- Job Function Career Path II - Expert & Research Specialist
- Pay Type Salary
- Employment Indicator (none)
- 800 Maine Ave SW, Washington, DC 20024, USA