Associate Research Analyst - Data Science Division
The Data Science Division (DSD) is part of the Center for Naval Analyses. The mission of the DSD is to develop innovative, cutting-edge analytics that are relevant, impactful, and actionable.
The DSD provides data science expertise and support to the Department of the Navy and Department of Defense. The division collaborates with our sponsors to transform their operations by making data and analytics an integral part of their decision-making. As part of the Navy’s only dedicated FFRDC, we use our analytic skills and our knowledge of naval operations to help create a competitive advantage for the Navy. That advantage has never been more critical than it is today, with great power competition challenging the Navy in several concurrent theaters and across all warfighting domains.
The division has full time and part time analysts with advanced degrees in data science, operations research, statistics, economics, computer science, physics, mathematics, engineering, chemistry, and other technical disciplines. The Data Science Division has a large set of core technical competencies, including:
- Developing supervised and unsupervised machine learning models, such as artificial neural networks, random forests, and clustering, to predict outcomes and assist decision-makers
- Leveraging high performance computing to obtain insights from big data
- Developing custom analytical simulations using techniques such as continuous time, discrete event, and Monte Carlo approaches to approximate existing systems to quantify the effects of changes to improve those systems
- Building and deploying dashboards and dynamic decision support tools in the Navy’s cloud environments
- Identifying optimal solutions using mathematical programming techniques such as mixed integer programming, network analysis, and linear/non-linear programming.
- Leading and facilitating human centered design workshops to ensure data-driven solutions meet stakeholder requirements and preferences
The DSD develops models and analytics to support Navy problems across all Navy domains, including aviation, surface warfare, undersea warfare, cyber, logistics, readiness, force generation, sustainment, acquisition, and cost modeling. DSD analysts support decision-makers by identifying key drivers of both successful and poor performance to improve Navy and Marine Corps outcomes. The division currently supports the Navy’s Performance-to-Plan forum, which provides senior Navy leadership forward‑looking performance forecasts, which are foundational to articulating Navy progress toward readiness and capability goals. Projects generally involve large datasets and complex questions that demand advanced coding skills as well as statistical and modelling techniques. The division leverages agile project management techniques to support faster cycle times to insights and to develop analytic minimum viable products.
CNA fosters an inclusive culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Our flexible and engaging work environment encourages iterative and creative collaboration at every stage of the problem solving process. Our employees are committed to helping clients develop effective solutions to better manage their programs through scientific, data-driven approaches.
Staff at this level will provide research, analytical, and technical support on a range of projects.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. Under close supervision, conducts research and analysis that meets CNA’s quality standards on focused, structured questions. Can effectively apply standard, routine, and well-established analytic methodologies. With minimal direction and supervision, routinely produces analysis that is logical and traceable as well as objective and unbiased. Shows some analytic creativity.
2. Develops rudimentary institutional knowledge of primary clients/sponsors; their culture, organization, and issues.
3. Contributes productively and harmoniously to the work of others; treats everyone respectfully, professionally and fairly. Keeps others informed. Actively engages with colleagues and works with manager to identify opportunities for collaborations within team and division. Seeks out others working on similar topics.
4. Supports business development efforts and/or marketing activities by conducting background research and helping prepare materials under the direction of more experienced staff.
5. Limited interaction with sponsors/clients and their study POCs under the supervision of an experienced colleague.
6. Impact largely confined to individual project work.
7. Demonstrates basic, effective communication skills, both written and oral. Can effectively present work to colleagues and CNA managers.
8. Works under close supervision on focused, well-structured pieces of projects.
9. Exhibits a positive attitude in interactions with colleagues and clients/sponsors. Serves as an effective member of project or research team by supporting leadership as needed.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Minimum Master’s degree in Data Science, Programming, Statistic or a relevant field or equivalent experience.
2. Experience: Typical minimum requirements Master’s & 0+ years of experience in research and analysis.
3. Skills: Facility with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Access, Powerpoint); Ability to manage databases; Ability to gather and organize information on policies, systems, problems, or procedures; Strong critical thinking and organizational skills; Basic knowledge of research techniques; Ability to plan and organize tasks effectively, both as an individual contributor and as a team member; Basic, effective communication skills. Ability to apply machine learning techniques, building models (statistical, mathematical, simulation, etc.) in programming languages such as R or Python. Ability to analyze complex datasets using effective visualizations of data in achieved results; skilled in programming, statistics, machine learning, and data visualization. Working knowledge of data and information management analysis techniques and best practices.
4. Other: Ability to obtain and maintain an Active Secret Security Clearance.
1. Cover Letter - Please include a cover letter as part of your application to be considered for this position. A cover letter should introduce yourself, briefly summarize your professional background, explain why you are a good candidate and the reason for your personal interest in applying for this job.
2. Transcripts - Please include your transcripts as part of your application to be considered
***Voluntary (but highly desired) document***
Please include a personal statement as part of your application. A personal statement is a chance for us to get to know you. The statement is your opportunity to share your goals, interests, influences and show us that you will be a valuable asset to our organization. Please click here for personal statement guidelines – Click here
Personal statements will not be used as an elimination criteria for this position. They will only be used to enhance a candidate’s application.
CNA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service and protected veterans, or other non-merit based factors. In addition to federal legal requirements, CNA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. These protections extend to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting and hiring practices, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training and career development programs. For more information about EEO protections, please view the EEO is the law posters below: "EEO is the Law" Poster; "EEO is the Law" Poster Supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here: Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Poster
To be considered for hire, all individuals applying for positions with CNA are subject to a background investigation. For positions requiring access to classified information, U.S. citizenship is required. Individuals will also be subject to an additional government background investigation, and continued employment eligibility is contingent upon the ability to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
- Job Family Research
- Job Function Career Path II - Expert & Research Specialist
- Employment Indicator (none)
- CNA, 3003 Washington Blvd, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America