VP and Chief Information Officer - CNA
CNA fosters an inclusive culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Our flexible and engaging work environment encourages iterative and creative collaboration at every stage of the problem solving process. Our employees are committed to helping clients develop effective solutions to better manage their programs through scientific, data-driven approaches.
We are looking for creative and innovative individuals to help carry out our mission.
The Chief Information Officer’s role is to provide vision and thought leadership for CNA’s Chief Information Office. The CIO is the IT leader for all of CNA, responsible for the establishment and execution of CNA’s IT strategy. The CIO ensures the delivery of all information and technology capabilities required for the successful achievement of CNA’s mission. The CIO also ensures the IT strategy is aligned and integrated with CNA’s business strategy.
The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal and communication skills energetically pursue current and future state of technology needs and their application at CNA, and implement strategies and drive business innovation and transformation in the technology and digital space.
The CIO reports to the Chief Executive Officer and is a member of CNA’s executive leadership team. In this capacity, the CIO participates in and contributes to business strategy development and ongoing business operations. The CIO brings and maintains current knowledge of information and technology and leverages those to support business unit and corporate functional needs.
JOB DUTIES AND DESCRIPTION
1. In support of CNA’s mission of research and analysis, determine the operating model for IT to foster a technologically-current, digital-ready CNA.
2. Participate in strategic and operational governance processes of the organization as a member of the executive leadership team and corporate committees.
3. Lead the development of an IT strategic plan roadmap that meets the needs of the company. Ensure the roadmap is integrated with CNA’s strategic planning process. Balance the need for growing digital business objectives, with ensuring the core IT functions are reliable, stable and efficient.
4. Effectively communicate to and engage with CNA stakeholders on the IT strategic plan roadmap.
5. Direct the design and implementation of an IT operating model, organizational structure, and governance process. As appropriate, create synergies across CNA to enable cost-effective solutions to achieve business goals.
6. Provide strategic direction and oversight for the design, development, operation, and support of IT systems and programs that fulfill the needs of the business, including enterprise architecture management, application management, security and risk management, and infrastructure and operations support management.
7. Build active relationships with CNA’s executive team and serve as a peer member of the team.
8. Counsel and educate executive leaders, members of their teams and stakeholders in the organization on the impact of trends and issues in IT. Assist with and contribute to assessments of digital opportunities and internal technology capabilities.
9. Lead the establishment and execution of a workplace strategy that enables the development of information technology and digital skills in CNA’s workforce. Contribute to ensuring employees have the tools and work environment to be engaged, productive and effective.
10. Develop business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for IT investments; including staffing, sourcing, and purchasing.
11. Approve, prioritize, and control a portfolio of projects as they relate to allocation, acquisition, development, and installation of major IT systems to support the needs of the organization.
12. Ensure IT capabilities are delivered reliably, sustainably, cost-effectively, securely, and with agility based on changing business requirements.
13. Develop and control annual operating and capital expenditure budgets for IT to ensure the investment in technology is consistent with CNA’s strategic objectives and is within plan.
14. Maintain currency on new technologies and platforms. Provide direction on what emerging technologies should be assimilated, integrated and introduced within CNA to ensure IT capabilities respond to the organization’s digital needs.
15. Establish policies that foster the use of information in a manner consistent with information protection requirements.
16. Ensure systems and processes adhere to applicable regulations (e.g., NIST-171) and meet the company’s security needs.
17. Monitor emerging trends in the FFRDC and government contracting industry and adjacent industries and identifies potential innovative solutions, tools and services for employees and the organization.
18. Serve on enterprise planning and policymaking committees. Drive the development of enterprise technology standards, governance processes and performance metrics to ensure IT delivers value to CNA. Manage risks through the effective design, delivery and management of IT capabilities.
19. Enhance the capabilities of the CIO department by leveraging both internal and external resources. Promote and oversee strategic relationships between internal resources and external entities, including government, vendors, and partner organizations.
20. Partner with CNA’s HR team to develop maintain an IT workforce with the appropriate mix of business knowledge, technical skills and competencies.
21. Provide leadership, coaching and direction to the IT leadership team and staff.
22. Plan and direct the research analysis, development and implementation of appropriate system development strategies and technologies to meet short-term and long-range business needs.
23. Determine strategies for system security, system architecture, and for disaster recovery and other methods to maintain continuity of business operations.
24. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Bachelor's degree required; Advanced degree preferred.
2. Experience: At least 15 years of experience in IT and five to seven years of leadership responsibility.
3. Preferably five or more years of experience in leading large cross-functional teams or enterprise-wide programs, influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders across an organization to enable cost effective and innovative shared solutions in achievement of mission accomplishment.
4. Experience in a research-oriented not-for-profit, association or government agency highly desirable.
5. Excellent analytical, strategic conceptual thinking, strategic planning and execution skills.
6. Stays current on new technologies; provides direction to the team on emerging technologies. Provides strategic direction in the organization's innovation efforts and role in experimenting with new solutions to take advantage of those opportunities.
7. Demonstrated experience in strategy and strategic planning, organization design and development.
8. Preferably proven experience in leading large, complex transformational initiatives in dynamic environments and enabling digitalization of the business.
9. This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance.
1. Exceptional leadership skills and the ability to develop and communicate a vision that inspires staff and stakeholders.
2. Excellent leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
3. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain digital concepts and technologies to leaders, and business needs to the IT workforce.
4. Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to generate trust and build relationships.
5. Excellent analytical, strategic conceptual thinking, strategic planning and execution skills.
6. Expertise in budget planning and financial management.
7. Deep understanding of current and emerging technologies and how other enterprises are employing them to drive their businesses and how they may be applied to the enterprise.
8. Ability to develop and motivate high quality staff and to build successful teams through coaching and mentoring.
9. Ability to identify and leverage resources internally and externally to the enterprise to enhance IT capabilities.
Please include a cover letter as part of your application to be considered for this position. A cover letter should introduce yourself, briefly summarize your professional background, explain why you are a good candidate and the reason for your personal interest in applying for this job.
***Voluntary (but highly desired) document***
Please include a personal statement as part of your application. A personal statement is a chance for us to get to know you. The statement is your opportunity to share your goals, interests, influences and show us that you will be a valuable asset to our organization. Please click here for personal statement guidelines – Click here
Personal statements will not be used as an elimination criteria for this position. They will only be used to enhance a candidate’s application.
CNA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service and protected veterans, or other non-merit based factors. In addition to federal legal requirements, CNA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. These protections extend to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting and hiring practices, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training and career development programs. For more information about EEO protections, please view the EEO is the law posters below: "EEO is the Law" Poster; "EEO is the Law" Poster Supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here: Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Poster
To be considered for hire, all individuals applying for positions with CNA are subject to a background investigation. For positions requiring access to classified information, U.S. citizenship is required. Individuals will also be subject to an additional government background investigation, and continued employment eligibility is contingent upon the ability to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
- Job Family Senior Management/Executive
- Job Function Career Path III - Senior Management/Executive
- CNA, 3003 Washington Blvd, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America