Platform Safety Manager
Plans, directs, and implements requirements and processes, consistent with One Myers, to ensure a safe, healthy, and incident-free work environment by performing, at a strategic level, the following duties, personally or through site managers and/or designated safety coordinators.
- Develop a safety and environmental compliance strategy for Platform locations, and strategies for reducing incidents and associated loss:
o Plans and implements safety, occupational health (industrial hygiene), ergonomic and environmental policy, standards and procedures in compliance with local, state and federal regulatory agency rules and regulations.
o Develops communications to effectively deploy strategies and policies to the business units.
o Develops standards for safety and environmental record keeping and records retention.
o Maintains safety files and records essential for the Platform Safety Manager (EHS) position.
o Represents the Platform on the Company Safety Committee.
- Provide consulting resource to Platform locations:
o Evaluates new manufacturing equipment and process changes for hazard identification and control, and for regulatory compliance.
o Investigates serious incidents and injuries and cooperates in the preparation of material and evidence for organization use in hearings, lawsuits, and insurance investigations. In conjunction with the Law Department, uses technology to set standards and drive improved reporting.
o In coordination with the Law Department and Human Resources, plans and implements programs to train managers and employees in work site safety practices, fire prevention, and correct handling techniques for chemicals, toxins, equipment, and other materials.
o In coordination with the Law Department, educates and trains leadership personnel on protocols related to government agency audits and requests for site and document access.
o Participates in the selection of qualified Safety and Human Resources positions to the organization.
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal standards for safety and environmental issues:
o Researches and interprets regulations to define impact on operations; communicate impact and accountability. Develop tracking methods to ensure compliance:
o Performs audits to determine compliance against Company standards.
o Inspects organization facilities to detect existing or potential incident and health hazards, determines corrective or preventative measures where indicated, and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented.
o Serves as liaison with regulatory agencies. Consults with sites to ensure that sites compile and submit incident reports required by regulatory agencies.
o Works with the Law Department to reduce employee lost time. Reviews workers’ compensation claims loss runs against site incident data to ensure complete and timely incident reporting has occurred. Works in conjunction with the Law Department to 1) Complete scheduled claims reviews with the insurance carrier, 2) Investigate and document suspicious claims and 3) Identify and communicate workers’ compensation claim trends related to incident frequency, severity, type, body part and other relevant factors.
o Represents the organization in community or industry safety groups and programs, working in conjunction with others as appropriate.
- Develop programs, training and procedures to drive safety and ergonomic performance and culture:
o Communicates metrics related to safety and compliance issues.
o Facilitates training, assessments and methods to establish ergonomic improvement processes in each Platform location.
o Teaches incident investigation processes and root cause analysis methodologies.
o Facilitates safety / ergonomic / environmental best practices sharing internally and externally.
o Provides information, signs, posters, barriers, and other materials to warn of potential and actual safety hazards and to prevent access to hazardous conditions.
· Regional Safety Leader
• Bachelors degree in Environmental Safety, Occupational Safety and Health, or related field required; Masters degree desirable.
• Five years of related experience required (related experience may be substituted).
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including an ability to communicate effectively at an executive level.
• Strong Problem Solving and Project Management Skills
• Ability to build strong and sustainable relationships and the capability to interact within all levels of the organization
• Proficient computer skills and an in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel skills
• Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
• Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety protocols, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedural manuals.
• Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
• Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
· Bias for action
· Analytical, results oriented
· Customer Intimacy
· Open, Candid, Non-Political
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit or stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk, climb or balance, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is primarily indoors with heating and cooling regulated in a general office environment. The employee is occasionally exposed to heat and cool in the production environment. The noise level in the office environment is normally low and in the production environment is normally loud.
Social/Environmental Demands: High level of attention to detail required. Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment when entering manufacturing areas requiring their use. Must be adaptable to rapidly changing priorities to fulfill customer needs. Travel to suppliers and customers may be required.
Sensory Requirements: Perform tasks that regularly require good correctable vision, color perception and hand/eye coordination. Ability to hear and communicate both in person and over the phone with background noise present.
Up to 50%
- Job Family SG&A
- Job Function Manufacturing
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- Travel % 50
- South Bend, IN, USA