Technician Broadband Maint II - Radford, VA
Responsible for maintenance, installation, splicing and repair of CATV, Telephone and High Speed internet outside plant equipment and cabling. Supports system troubleshooting, maintenance and repairs from the customer drop/tap to the head end including all active and passive devices. Will be included in Shentel on-call schedule and expected to work Saturdays periodically. Daily contact with dispatch regarding service problems, and assignments concerning splicing notes and field information.Daily contact with Installers and Construction Department. Daily contact with customer concerning service problems and installation of equipment as well as dispatch regarding clearing of troubles. Frequent contact with manufacturers for technical assistance. Working conditions include climbing, bucket truck operation, attics with fluctuation of temperatures, small crawl spaces, heights, driving approximately 50 to 100 miles a day and working diverse hours.
- Education:High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Experience Level: 2-3 years of CATV, Telephone and DSL installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repairs.Preferred experience with digital CATV systems, DOCSIS cable modem installation and troubleshooting.Competent in RF and fiber optic theory and coaxial cable system operation, maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Special Requirements: Ability to read and comprehend written materials.Ability to communicate in both face-to-face and non-face-face situations.Ability to lift 50 pounds and transport 200 feet. Ability to work aloft on ladder or bucket truck, as well as underground while using power tools.
- Skills Summary:PC skills utilizing laptop devices and basic software applications (MS Word, Excel, Web Browse).
- Valid Driver’s license required
- Skills:Telecommunications concepts, CATV, and coaxial transport systems, electricity and electronics. Troubleshooting skills in CATV and Telco systems using experience and test equipment.Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public and staff as well as 3rd party vendors and other utilities.
Shentel provides a drug-free workplace and is an EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
If you require accommodation or assistance to complete the online application process, due to a medical condition or impairment, please contact a HR Representative at 540-984-5241 or email@example.com. When you contact a HR Representative please identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. We will assist you promptly.
- Job Family Engineering & Operations
- Job Function Broadband
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education High School
- Blacksburg, VA, USA
- Christiansburg, VA 24073, USA
- Radford, VA, USA