Shenandoah Telecommunications Company (Shentel) was recently named to FORTUNE Magazine’s list of 100 fastest growing publicly-traded companies and has a 117 year history of financial performance and operational excellence. Shentel provides a broad range of diversified communications services through its high speed, state-of-the-art network to customers in the Mid-Atlantic United States. The Company’s services include: fixed wireless data; cable video, internet and digital voice; fiber network and services; and regulated local and long distance telephone. For more information, please visit www.shentel.com
This position reports to the Director – Technical and Capital Accounting. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in accounting, systems, and controllership. This is a leadership role responsible for managing, coaching, and developing a team of analysts. In addition, this role will be the controller for the Network Engineering team collaborating with operational leaders in that department to design efficient business processes, implement effective internal controls, and manage reporting over total spend. The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic team player who is detail-oriented with the ability to work independently.
• Manage the project accounting process for over $150M of capex spend annually.
• Take lead role implementing fixed asset and project modules of new Oracle Cloud ERP system. Collaborate with Network Engineering leaders to design new business processes associated with the new system functionality.
• Take lead role in implementing and monitoring new internal controls for projects and fixed assets.
• Collaborate with IT and Network Engineering to develop additional automation or reporting as needed.
• Collaborate with Network Engineering on variance analysis, and total spend reporting and forecasting. Assist in preparation of material for monthly capex spend reviews.
• Support technical accounting team members as needed.
• Monitor compliance with various policies related to capex cycle such as asset useful lives, capitalized labor and capitalized interest.
• Manage the accounting and internal control of the Company’s inventory held in over 40 company and contractor owned warehouses.
• Develop and manage a team of professional and clerical staff.
• Manage and continuously improve the period end financial close processes.
• Supervise monthly and quarterly account reconciliations
• Support the quarterly review and annual audit process with external audit teams.
Key Skills and Experience
• 5 - 7 years of professional experience
• Accredited bachelor’s degree in accounting
• Certified Public Accountant preferred
• ERP experience
• Prior experience in telecom, construction or manufacturing sectors
• Strong analytical skills
• Strong attention to detail, and ability to work independently and in teams.
• Knowledge of US GAAP and recent internal control guidance
• Previous supervisory experience required with strong coaching and development skills.
• Good oral and written communication skills required.
• Excellent project management, planning and organizational skills.
This position description is only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this position. The incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those stated in this description.
The company reserves the right to revise or change this job description as the need arises. This job description does not constitute any written or implied contract of employment.
Shentel provides a drug-free workplace and is an EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
If you require accommodation or assistance to complete the online application process, due to a medical condition or impairment, please contact a HR Representative at 540-984-5241 or firstname.lastname@example.org. When you contact a HR Representative please identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. We will assist you promptly.