Chief Financial Officer
Thundermist Health Center is seeking a chief financial officer (CFO). This position reports to the CEO and directs and oversees the organization’s financial operation and accounting practices. This includes responsibility for the maintenance and administration of the general accounting systems, creation of accurate and timely financial statements, grant accounting and reporting, and other external regulatory reporting, such as Uniform Data Systems (UDS) and annual Medicare and Medicaid cost reporting.
Thundermist Health Center is a federally qualified community health center in Rhode Island. The health center serves three communities with locations in Woonsocket, West Warwick, and South County. Thundermist has been improving the health of patients and communities for more than 50 years.
Thundermist has over 700 employees and approximately $60 million in operating revenue. In 2020, Thundermist provided care to more than 46,000 diverse patients with 246,000 patients visits.. Nearly half of Thundermist’s patients are enrolled in Medicaid (49%); 13% are Medicare subscribers; 26% are covered through commercial insurers; and 12% are uninsured.
Thundermist Health Center's mission is to improve the health of its patients and communities by delivering exceptional health care, removing barriers to that care and promoting healthy lifestyles. The health center offers a wide array of medical and non-medical services, as well as a host of community service programs. Thundermist’s range of comprehensive health care services includes:
· Primary Medical Care - Thundermist employs health care providers in the following specialty areas: family medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics/gynecology, internal medicine and geriatric care.
· Dental Care - Thundermist offers dental care at all three locations, as well as in the community through its Community Dental Program. Dentists and hygienists provide a full range of comprehensive dental services to both children and adults.
· Convenient Care – Thundermist offers a walk-in medical service open 365 days per year.
· Behavioral Health services - Thundermist’s behavioral health team includes clinical social workers, mental health counselors, and psychiatric nurse practitioners to provide individual and group counseling, integrated behavioral health interventions, case management, and referrals.
· School-Based Health Care - Thundermist runs school-based health centers (The Health Hut) at Woonsocket High School and in West Warwick, based at Deering Middle School, which also serves the West Warwick High School.
· Pharmacy services – Thundermist leverages Section 340B of the US Public Health Service Act, which allows community health centers to purchase prescription medications at dramatically reduced prices. Thundermist is able to partner with local pharmacies to offer prescription medications to its patients.
Thundermist is at the forefront of innovation in the community health care setting and is seen as a leader in the state for delivering quality health care services in an innovative and effective manner. Examples include a trans health program and Health Equity Zones. The Trans Health Access Team is a group of medical, behavioral health, and allied service professionals, working to improve access to culturally and clinically competent health care for the trans community. In addition, Thundermist is the backbone agency for the Woonsocket and West Warwick Health Equity Zones. The HEZ programs develop innovative approaches to prevent chronic diseases, improve birth outcomes, and improve the social and environmental conditions of neighborhoods.
Thundermist also runs one of Rhode Island’s two Ryan White Title III Early Intervention Services programs for comprehensive care to HIV positive patients, including disease specialty care through its affiliation with Brown University, comprehensive primary care, clinical trials, mental health counseling, dental services and case management. Other programs include Women, Infants & Children (WIC), and Healthcare for the Homeless, a community garden, and a farmer’s market.
Thundermist has experienced tremendous growth in the last decade. Some of the hallmark achievements include:
· Doubled the size of the West Warwick and Woonsocket medical and behavioral health facilities to 38,000 and 34,600 square feet respectively
· Moved and increased Woonsocket Dental Clinic to 13 operatories and 5,500 sq. ft
· Opened a 20,000 square foot Patient Centered Medical Home in Wakefield in 2015, with the support of a $5 million grant through the Affordable Care Act.
· Established a physician residency program at Thundermist of West Warwick, to become Rhode Island’s first PCMH Level III community-based physician residency program.
· Began a 12-month Family Nurse Practitioner Fellowship Program. Entering its third year, the program is specifically intended for family nurse practitioners who are committed to developing careers as PCPs in the challenging setting of community health centers and other safety net settings.
· Added a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Fellowship Program in 2018 to meet the on-going demand for overall behavioral health services.
· Added a revenue generating 4-story office building to the Woonsocket campus in 2019
· Revitalizing a newly purchased building to provide dental care to thousands of additional patients in central Rhode Island.
· Additionally, in 2011, Thundermist was the first Rhode Island community health center to achieve patient centered medical home accreditation from NCQA. Thundermist is now NCQA accredited at the highest level in all eligible departments. Thundermist Health Center is a FTCA Deemed Facility.
As part of its effort to expand access to health care services for its patient population, Thundermist has established a single organization accountable entity. Accountable entities are a cornerstone of the effort to reinvent Medicaid in the state of Rhode Island and they are Rhode Island Medicaid’s version of an accountable care organization (ACO), where a provider organization is accountable for quality health care, outcomes and the total cost of care of its population. The Reinventing Medicaid Act of 2015 mandates that 50 percent of all Medicaid payments must be made through alternative payment models, such as accountable entities by 2018, and that 25 percent of all Medicaid members must be enrolled in accountable integrated provider networks by 2018. The premise is that the transformation of the Medicaid managed care system will reduce costs by improving coordination of care by introducing harmonized quality metrics. Given that accountable entities are a new concept and very much still a work in progress, Thundermist continues to learn, but remains committed and dedicated to serving the managed Medicaid population to the best of their ability.
Thundermist is committed to leadership, transformation, and innovation in health care. As part of their effort to continue building their already committed and diverse workforce, they have partnered with The Alan Shawn Feinstein College of Education and Professional Studies at the University of Rhode Island to launch a leadership training program. The program offers a diverse range of high impact developmental services to Thundermist’s leaders, including, tools to build effective teams, communicate efficiently, drive vision and purpose, and cultivate innovation.
Thundermist Health Center’s headquarters are located in Warwick, Rhode Island. With a population of about one million, RI offers cities, suburbs and rural areas all in close proximity.
Whether your interest lies in shopping, shoreline activities or researching colonial America, Rhode Island has a lot to offer its residents. The many islands and bays of the Ocean State give it nearly 400 miles of coast complete with beautiful beaches, historic lighthouses, coves and marinas. It is a short drive from the city to the beaches of Newport and South County.
Sports fans have easy access to a variety of college teams, including the Providence Friars and The University of Rhode Island Rams, as well as to professional teams like the Providence Bruins, who play at the Dunkin' Donuts Center (formerly the Providence Civic Center). The flagship campuses of five of Rhode Island's colleges and universities are located in Providence (city proper):
· Rhode Island College, the state's oldest public college.
· Rhode Island School of Design (RISD)
In addition, the Community College of Rhode Island (Downcity and Liston campuses), Roger Williams University (Providence campus) and University of Rhode Island (Providence campus) have satellite campuses in Providence.
For further information on Rhode Island, visit https://www.visitrhodeisland.com/
The position of chief financial officer of Thundermist Health Center represents an outstanding opportunity for a healthcare executive leader to make a real difference and impact the future of Thundermist and the communities it serves.
Serving under the CEO, the CFO is responsible for executing the financial strategy of the health center. The CFO directs and oversees the organization’s financial operations and accounting practices, They are responsible for the maintenance and administration of the general accounting systems including upkeep of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, depreciation schedule, financial statements and payroll. The CFO works collaboratively with key stakeholders in the external health care community, including other health care provider organizations, state and local government and academic organizations.
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: Controller
Grant Finance Manager
1. Promotes a strong belief in Thundermist Health Center’s philosophy, purpose, mission and values.
2. Serves as a member of Senior Leadership Team, working collaboratively with the CEO and other team members.
3. Responsible for all financial accounting and reporting, procedures and internal controls of the department. Responsible for all accounting operations to ensure the execution of sound and generally accepted principles of accounting. Review and update annually the fiscal policies and procedures. Constantly evaluate the internal controls (including billing department).
4. Prepares annual organization budget as well as individual grant budgets; coordinates all department budgets; works with all department heads throughout the year to insure that expenditures adhere to legal and budgetary requirements
5. Directs and coordinates the establishment of budget programs, provides on-going data and training to department supervisors in order to maintain budgetary guidelines.
6. Monitors the organization’s financial position and issues scheduled reports on organization’s financial stability, liquidity and growth.
7. Responsible for grant management and allocation including application process and periodic reporting on grant expenditures and updates. Fiscal management of all public/government and foundation grants.
8. Maintains activities such as custodian of funds, securities & assets of the organization.
9. Develops and coordinates all efforts to attain maximum third party reimbursement including capitated arrangements.
10. Responsible for recruitment, supervision, training, and evaluation of the Finance Department staff including Accounts Payable, Payroll, Accounts Receivable/Billing, Purchasing.
11. Responsible for the center’s relationship with federal, state and local tax authorities.
12. Prepares and supervises the preparation of all regulatory reports (i.e. FSR, UDS, Medicare, Medicaid, IRS Form 990, state tax returns, etc.)
13. Responsible for overseeing and maintaining the employee benefit plans in coordination with AVP of Human Resources
14. Ensures all liability insurance coverage’s including director’s and officer’s, malpractice, general property, etc. are in place each year.
15. Attends and provides staff support for the finance committee meeting of the health center’s Board of Directors and presents the current fiscal situation. Also, attends meetings of and report to Board of Directors at the request of the Chief Executive Officer
16. Fosters and maintains open communication between Administration, Management Team and clinic/program staff and outside entities.
17. Ensures the organization’s compliance with state and federal law and regulation, working with staff to monitor and improve processes related to compliance.
18. Performs other related duties as assigned by Chief Executive Officer.
The Ideal Candidate
The Chief Financial Officer will be an innovative, collaborative and strategic leader who is mission-driven and passionate about serving challenging patient populations. They will have strong interpersonal and communication skills and a solid track record of understanding the financial workings of their company and the healthcare industry.
The ideal candidate will be a highly visible and approachable leader who is focused on internal operations with the ability to analyze date and be forward thinking with long term strategies in mind
The successful candidate will be a progressive thinker who can strengthen Thundermist’s current progress and support continued future growth for the organization. They will be a talented and energetic healthcare executive with leadership experience ideally within a community health setting.
In addition, they will possess:
Education and Experience:
- B.S. Degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA, MBA or related advanced degree or certification preferred
- Previous financial leadership experience
- Experience in automated billing and accounting systems
- Knowledge and experience in health care finance, including third party reimbursement and Federal guidelines regarding budgeting and financing
Abilities, Skills, and Other Characteristics:
· Mission-driven; ability to embrace Thundermist’s mission of serving the underserved.
· Possesses a strategic perspective while being detailed-oriented with a strong business analytics acumen.
· Visible, approachable, collaborative with a willingness to be held accountable.
· Values and able to nurture an immensely diverse, inclusive and empowered workforce.
· Politically savvy.
· Able to work well with a variety of healthcare partners on significant initiatives.
· Superb interpersonal, communication, and listening skills.
· Respectful and respected by peers, staff, providers and patients.
· Decisive with clarity and authority.
· Sense of humor.
- Pay Type Salary
- Woonsocket, RI 02895, USA