Manager, Corporate Communications
The Manager, Corporate Communications develops and implements the internal and external communications programs at Alexander & Baldwin and will report to the Director, Community Relations and Communications.
This position will actively assist with the development and implementation of internal and external communication strategies and plans, and ensure they are continuously updated to reflect changing needs among target audiences. This will involve developing strategic messages and communications tactics in alignment with the Company’s vision and strategy so as to support and build A&B’s reputation and corporate brand, and to support meaningful engagement between the company and community stakeholders by providing key messaging. The Manager will also regularly engage with company personnel to identify, anticipate and manage communications risks and participate in the development of appropriate and timely communications tools for internal and external use. The Manager will receive support from the External Affairs Associate.
The work necessitates strong, incisive writing skills and a high level of collaboration across the Company’s departments and operating units as well as the ability to solicit, analyze and distill information/data to develop strategic messaging and tactics to support A&B’s business and community objectives. The ability to foster external relationships, particularly with media representatives, is important in this role.
- Manages internal communications channels: employee intranet, newsletters and announcements, email updates and town halls
- Develops communications to drive understanding of the company’s strategy and to foster greater employee collaboration and engagement as directed by senior management
- Primary interface with media
- Receives and routes media inquiries, drafts responses, secures approvals and responds to media.Tracks media coverage of A&B and metrics
- Oversees and executes earned media program
- Increases visibility for the A&B brand; proactively builds understanding of the Company’s vision and focus
- Creates content to better engage with A&B stakeholders and ensures outward facing communications - company websites, social media platforms, etc. – are updated and relevant
- Supports community outreach efforts by External Affairs and CRE, including the development of external messaging and communications tools, scripts and talking points for community presentations (Neighborhood Board meetings, panel discussions, media interviews, etc.)
- Minimum 5 years experience in strategic communications and/or corporate public relations is required. Government affairs and/or community engagement experience is beneficial
- Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of audiences and a high level of comfort working directly with senior management
- Competence in developing relationships with external audiences
- Problem solving, creative thinking and results-orientation
- Extensive writing experience across all channels – internal, print online and social media
- Basic technical skills, familiarity with social media strategy and implementation, and the ability to work across media platforms
- Strong organizational skills, including an attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks on an ongoing basis, with a sense of urgency and attention to deadlines
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, communications, journalism, marketing or related field
Alexander & Baldwin, Inc. and its subsidiaries (“Company”) are equal opportunity employers. Applicants are considered for positions without discriminating on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, credit history, arrest and court record, reproductive health decision, or other characteristics protected under applicable state and federal laws, regulation, and/or executive orders.
- Alexander & Baldwin, 822 Bishop St, Honolulu, Hawaii, United States of America