Assistant to The Ailey School Co-Director
Founded in 1969 by Alvin Ailey, The Ailey School is the official school of the world renowned Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater. The Ailey School trains over 3,500 students from all over the world providing them with high-caliber instruction in a wide variety of techniques each year. Located in The Joan Weill Center for Dance in midtown Manhattan, the School boasts a faculty of over 75 dance professionals who are experts in their fields, 35 professional musicians, and a staff of dedicated administrators and advisors.
The Ailey School, is seeking a dedicated team member to join as Assistant to The Ailey School Co-Director. This full-time position assists the Co-Director of The Ailey School with daily duties and short and long-term projects, communicates internally with all School and foundation staff and externally with the general public on behalf of the Co-Director and represents him when appropriate.
Responsibilities Overview include:
Ø Primary liaison between the Co-Director and students.
Ø Serve as central information source for Professional Division Programs.
Ø Answer calls and emails; arrange meetings on Tracy’s calendar.
Ø Update School Calendar on Intranet-SharePoint.
Managing Student Studio Space
· Reserve studio space via MindBody online software for students that have approved School-related projects. (policies and approved projects are included in the Student Rehearsal Space Policies document)
· Receive several student studio requests and communicate with students to offer available studio space that does not conflict with School classes, Extension classes and events, and Rental Bookings.
Collaborate with Ailey staff that use MindBody and resolve/change any studio space issues
· Provide students with performance footage for dance reels.
· If needed, convert and cut footage to specified time stamps based on the students’ request.
Maintain and organize digital archive of Ailey School performance footage.
Global Harmony – An opportunity for students to present their choreography in the Ailey Citigroup Theater Students must go through an adjudication showing process to be selected for the Global Harmony concert.
· Coordinate and facilitate student meetings and 2 adjudicated showings.
REPERTORY WORKSHOPS AND PERFORMANCES
Memoria - Facilitate the student auditions and distribute any casting information or handle any general questions for the Professional Division. (Students perform with AAADT during the New York City Center season)
January Explosion- Facilitate the student auditions and distribute any casting information or handle any general questions for the Professional Division.
Spring Concert - Facilitate the student auditions and distribute any casting information or handle any general questions for the Professional Division. (end of year performance in May)
Summer Sizzler (Prof. Div.) - Facilitate the student auditions and distribute any casting information or handle any general questions for the Professional Division. (performance at the end of Summer Intensive)
· Be the liaison between the Directors and hired choreographers when required.
· Post audition signs and coordinate studio space with School Scheduling Administrator.
· Check student levels at audition sign-in.
· Post casting lists on student bulletin boards.
· Provide Cristina Sabater with sign-in sheets to excuse students from any conflicting
Performance Program Coordinator
· Coordinate and compile all program information for all School performances held throughout the year.
· Collaborate with Production Administrator for production information.
· Communicate and set a deadline with choreographers/Production Administrator to request all program information. (Casting, music credits, costumes, etc.)
· Create detailed program note document for each repertory.
· Create expense reports digitally via online software, Concur (instruction sheet on server)
· Keep all receipts for any purchases made.
· Create a new expense report for every cycle and input correct code for each line itemed purchased.
· After completed, submit expense report online to the Finance department.
Schedule and book travel arrangements for the annual audition tour
· Research flights and hotels.
· Book flights and hotels for all audition tour staff members. (Tracy, Freddie)
· Reserve car service for local transportation – to and from airports in NY.
· Create itinerary for staff with all detailed travel information.
AAADT – New York City Center and Lincoln Center season
Ailey II – New York season
· Liaison for the School approved comp list.
· Mail merge ticket letters and material to approved comp list.
· Approve all incoming comp requests and communicate with Development department for any changes or cancellations.
· Take Meeting Minutes for all school staff meetings and faculty & musician meetings.
BFA and Certificate Juries
Juries are for 1st and 2nd year BFA and Certificate students.
· Create jury class schedule and showing schedule with appropriate class information for all students.
· Secure jury instructor, musicians, and adjudication panel.
· Create student jury packets and relay any information to students.
· Collect and sort all evaluations after each jury and file in student’s folder.
Students review jury evaluations during their faculty advisor evaluation meeting.
· Primary liaison between physical therapists and students.
· PT provides a detailed report for students, which is then distributed to Registrar/Advisors/Students.
· Monitor student status in HealthCheck App daily.
· Immediately report any students whose status is red in HealthCheck App. (Follow flow chart for reporting.)
· Host virtual classes and coordinate schedule with Production Administrator.
· Strong organizational and time management skills
· Ability to manage multiple projects and succeed within fast-paced work environment
· Knowledge of data management systems required—Raiser’s Edge and Excel preferred.
· Bachelor’s degree preferred and/or three-five years administrative experience in a nonprofit sector a plus.
Compensation: Competitive salary. Benefits include employer-provided health/dental insurance, Flexible Spending Account, retirement plan, and savings on transit/parking.
To apply for this position, click on the apply link below and upload one file (accepted formats include .doc, .docx, .txt, or .pdf) that contains the following items:
· Resume & Cover letter detailing your interest in this position at Alvin Ailey Dance
Foundation, Inc. and salary requirements
· Contact information for two references
No phone calls, please.
- Pay Type Salary
- 405 W 55th St, New York, NY 10019, USA