1001 - TRC - ICF - Medical Aide UMA
The Medical Aide will coordinate the scheduling of medical appointments and document results of such appointments; relays accurate medical information to both the team and the physician; monitors ongoing need for prescriptions and required medical and/or clinical appointments. May perform DSP responsibilities as needed or assigned by the nursing and/or residence management.
The Medical Aide I & II are required to obtain and maintain NYS medication administration certification, is required to administer medications as needed or assigned, and is required to provide assistance with lifting and transferring of assigned residents. In addition, the Medical Aide I & II must demonstrate knowledge and understanding of all SCIP protocols and procedures, utilizing positive behavioral support and lesser restrictive means of addressing maladaptive behavior before advancing to restrictive SCIP maneuvers. The Medical Aide I & II must possess the unrestricted ability to routinely implement and perform all approved SCIP-R techniques, as needed or assigned.
Schedules, transports, and accompanies residents for routine and specialty medical appointments.
Forwards orders for routine lab work to the residence. May schedule blood draws. Provides list to RN for follow-up. Prepares required paperwork.
Ensures that the appropriate mode of transportation is available and reserved; also, obtains gas card, money for tolls, parking and meals, when appropriate, and secures proper receipts for return to Residence Manager.
Compiles adequate and accurate information and complete appropriate forms to ensure communication of the resident’s health care problems and needs to the health care practitioner, when required.
Documents information regarding all medical appointments and telephone consults in the client record, and in required daily logs.
Communicates to nursing and residence staff any recommendations or orders from the medical practitioner.
Obtains evaluations, prescriptions, and repairs for eyeglasses, orthopedic shoes, hearing aids, and dentures.
Assists, when needed, in transporting ill residents home from day program, and, if necessary, schedules medical follow-up and treatment.
Obtains scripts for client medications and pre-sedation from medical care provider and forward to pharmacy.
Maintains a weekly calendar of medical appointments and share information with other pertinent staff, to ensure the smooth functioning of the unit.
Maintains a professional and cooperative relationship with medical service providers in the community.
Provides direct care and direct support services to residents of the home including but not limited to:
- Provides instruction and supervision of residents in completion of personal care, daily living, and community activities.
- Assists individuals in the pursuit of personal interest in the community, as well as, at the residence, including religious functions.
- Provides crisis intervention support services to residents as needed or assigned.
- Intervenes and reports any incidences or unusual occurrences as per policy/procedure.
Ensures any immediate protective action is taken.
- Ensures adequate diet according to identified needs and/or requirements.
- Understands, identifies and advocates for individual rights.
- Models appropriate interaction with the residents and provides a positive role model for all individuals.
- Maintains compliance with State and Federal regulations, as well as, with Agency program policies and procedures.
- Maintains an effective and positive relationship with family, correspondents, friends, service providers sand the community-at-large.
- Reports to supervisor(s) any information pertinent to the needs of the individual or to the operation of the program.
- Participates in Program Planning Team, including identifying, implementing, and documenting individual program plan.
- Assists in providing a safe, clean, comfortable an therapeutic environment.
Performs all other related duties as needed or assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
condition commensurate with demands of the job, including the unrestricted
ability to assist in lifting and transferring on a regular basis. Reliability,
adaptability and flexibility, including willingness and ability to maintain a
good attendance record. Ability to
follow written program plans and document and maintain records related to
them. Ability to use educational
training techniques for developmentally disabled adults. Knowledge of, or ability to obtain, computer skills
sufficient to utilize direct support certification programs or other software
necessary to complete assigned job duties. The ability to work with others as part of a
team in order to satisfy the needs of consumers, the program and the
Agency. Must demonstrate knowledge of,
and willingness to adhere to, all departmental and agency policies and
The employee must also demonstrate the following competencies:
ability to locate all of the information that is asked for and demonstrate knowledge of basic information associated with assigned participants; successful completion of all required in-service training within required time frames; certification in NYS Medication Administration protocols and procedures, which includes protocols and procedures related to decertification and recertification process*, First Aid, CPR and SCIP-R; demonstrated knowledge of the abuse, mistreatment and neglect policy, the incident reporting process, IPOPs and implementation of milestones.
MEDICAL AIDE I: High school diploma or GED preferred and one (1) years experience in working with individuals with disabilities. Valid driver’s license and use of a personal vehicle for work is required. An acceptable driving record according to guidelines established by agency insurance carrier or equivalent accommodations required.
MEDICAL AIDE II: Certified
Direct Support Professional (DSP-C) and Specialized Direct Support Professional
(DSP-S), specializing in Health Support.
Certification and specialization credentials are provided through the
College of Direct Support or other employer-sponsored curriculum.
- Job Family TRC
- Pay Type Hourly
- 862 Foote Ave, Jamestown, NY 14701, USA