Children's Center Head Teacher
The Children Center’s purpose is to create a community that supports
Sacramento State Students to build brighter futures by providing high
quality childcare, employment, and leadership opportunities in a wholesome learning environment.
SUMMARY: The Head Teacher shall work as a team member to ensure a high standard of quality care is provided to enrolled children, high quality training and service to Sacramento State students. Responsibilities include managing all aspects of the classroom including regular attendance to ensure staffing ratios are met, staff supervision and training, records maintenance, and parent communication.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Safely perform job duties
- Train, supervise and evaluate up to 20 university student staff in performing daily classroom tasks. Provide hands-on training to college student assistants. Organize and conduct in-depth training sessions on current Child Development principles and practices. Monitor and supervise classroom volunteers and observers.
- Train, supervise, and guide Field Work Students from college courses. This includes guiding course projects and completing performance evaluations.
- Responsible for the classroom management of up to 40 children enrolled with flexible schedules. This includes curriculum development, supervision, monitoring child development, maintaining classroom supplies, first aid and daily health checks. Responsible for creating an environment respecting diversity.
- Effective communication with administrators, parents, and children. Shares information with Center administrators (i.e. concerned parents, a child’s behavior problems, or an employee’s performance issues). Regularly communicate and collaborate with fellow teachers (i.e. as child(ren) transition to different classrooms).
- Communicate with parents on a regular basis regarding child development, behavior issues, parent education and other child related issues. Conduct conferences as needed. Develop a monthly classroom newsletter
- Ability to complete administrative tasks and accurate documentation for “Desired Results, National Association for the Education of Young Children, anecdotal records on children and other administrative tasks as needed. Provides required information to Center administration meeting established deadlines.
- Knowledge and compliance with regulations of all governing agencies (i.e. licensing) as well as other applicable Federal, State, County, and organizational policies. This includes, but is not limited to Title 22, Title 5, NAEYC, and the Child and Adult Food Program. Accurately report any required data meeting all established deadlines.
- Organize and facilitate special events such as the “Open House” and “Day on the Quad.”
- May serve as site supervisor in the absence of the Center Director and Associate Director. May assist Center Director and Associate Director in performing other duties as needed (environmental and administrative).
- Stay current with emerging practices both in Child Development and technology.
- Maintains regular attendance to ensure classroom meet the staffing ratio per CA state regulations
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with staff, employees and the public.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- Knowledge of current Child Development Principles and Practices.
- Strong leadership skills for training and supervising college students, fieldwork students, volunteers, and observers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Child Development or related field
- Valid Child Development Permit at the teacher level or higher
- Minimum two years teaching experience in an early childhood setting
- Pediatric First Aid and CPR
- Clear criminal background
- Current Health Screening (lifting up to 50 lbs., ability to stand 4 to 6 hours daily., bend and squat, sit on floor 1-2 hours daily)
- Per law must be able to provide proof of immunizations (Measles and Pertussis-whooping cough) Influenza waiver or annual proof of influenza vaccination
- Clear TB tests
- Knowledge of windows-based personal computers – Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Completed 3 Infant Toddler units is required to work with children under 3 years of age
- PITC (Program for Infant Toddler Caregivers) trained
- Campus child care experience
- Previous experience supervising and training employees
- Mandated Reporter Training
- Basic Pest Management in a School & Child Care Setting Training
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to fingers, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee must:
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to climb, kneel, squat, reach overhead
- Sit on floor 1-2 hours daily
- Combination of indoors and outdoors with varied surfaces some uneven
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily after the candidate is offered a position with Associated Students, Inc. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students, Inc. employees who apply for the position.
Associated Students is a nonprofit corporation and an auxiliary organization of California State University, Sacramento providing a wide range of programs and services to the students of CSUS. Therefore, ASI employees are not state employees. www.asi.csus.edu
Associated Student Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime
Statistics Act Statement
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and
Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Sacramento has made
crime statistics available on-line at www.csus.edu/police/cleryact.htm
- Job Family Child Development
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Full-Time
- Hiring Rate $21.15
- Job Start Date Tuesday, June 15, 2021
- 6000 J St, Sacramento, CA 95819, USA