Government Legislative Affairs Coordinator
Student Government’s purpose is to lead the Sacramento State community in serving the diverse needs of Sacramento State students by promoting leadership development, shared governance, relationship building, community betterment, and lifelong personal and professional growth.
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Executive & Board Associate, the Legislative Affairs Coordinator is responsible for assisting in sharing information on higher education issues; chairs and recruits students at large for the Lobby Corps; and arranges training opportunities for students on legislative visits and promotes student engagement in advocacy efforts at Sacramento State.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Chairs the Lobby Corps. This includes scheduling committee meetings, drafting agendas, securing room reservations, and maintaining accurate records.
- Coordinates visits with Legislators and trains members on how to advocate. Research and track legislation regarding or relating to higher education.
- Coordinates with CSSA Liaison and other Lobby Corps Officers throughout the CSU system. Brainstorms and execute events that involve the campus on understanding legislative bills that will affect higher education.
- Utilizes ASI bill templates to recommend position to the ASI Board of Directors. Advocates for supported bills and against opposed bills at the Capitol.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with staff, employees, and public
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a diverse student population
- Self-motivated and comfortable taking initiative
- Ability to support projects and event planning
- Knowledge of higher education issues at the state and national level
- Able to research legislation and understand legislative language
- Enrolled in a minimum of 6 units at Sacramento State; maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA overall (for Student Assistant incumbents)
- Proven strong organizational skills
- Basic experience with - Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
- Knowledge of the legislative process
- Experience with event and/or project planning
- Previous public speaking experience
- Previous experience organizing volunteers/student
I work. I learn. I play. I am ASI
Depending on the position a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily after the candidate is offered a position with Associated Students, Inc. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students, Inc. employees who apply for the position.
Associated Students is a nonprofit corporation and an auxiliary organization of California State University, Sacramento providing a wide range of programs and services to the students of CSUS. Therefore, ASI employees are not state employees.
Associated Student Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act Statement
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Sacramento has made crime statistics available on-line at www.csus.edu/police/cleryact.htm
- Job Family Student Services
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $14.00
- Job Start Date Monday, August 23, 2021
- 6000 J St, Sacramento, CA 95819, USA