Food Resource Coordinator; 6098-204-A
STATEMENT OF THE JOB
The Food Resource Coordinator will continuously strive to provide the highest quality services on behalf of the CCNS Food Pantry Network, while working within the Catholic Charities frame of the Best Practice Principles and in support of the agency’s mission.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Facilitate the operation of food pantries including assessment, collection of data, dissemination of food etc..
- Arrange for tabling, cooking demonstrations and other health, wellness and nutrition resources at aforementioned pantries, as well as those within the network
- Reduce the risk of foodborne contamination by ensuring that proper conditions are maintained with regard to food storage, preparation, and distribution in all network pantries. Safeguard that aforementioned pantries maintain safe and sanitary conditions in accordance with NYS- DOH guidelines.
- Order food as needed for pantries, maintain proper percentage of fresh produce, milk and whole grains. Make every effort to purchase fresh, whole food in place of processed food. Encourage pantries to increase fresh produce distribution.
- In collaboration with the Food Resource Associates oversee and, accept order shipments upon arrival, check for contaminated or spoiled foods, label boxes with date of arrival and pack shelves in accordance with HPNAP FIFO (first in-first out) method to reduce the possibility of spoilage or expired food.
- Conduct guided trips to the green markets to provide food pantry guests access to locally grown produce. Encourage the use of Health Bucks and SNAP to purchase fresh produce and herbs. These excursions will all be accompanied by user-friendly informational packets about fruits, vegetables and other food, take-home referral sheets, posters, and low-cost, good tasting and highly nutritious recipes.
- In collaboration with the Supervisor of Food Resource Services, ensure that all pantries in the CCNS Food Pantry Network are following the NYS Department of Health nutrition standards in the preparation of food packages.
- Review with volunteers the Food Distribution Guidelines chart and the HPNAP guidelines on ‘How to Pack a Balanced Food Pantry Bag’ to ensure a 9 meal factor, stressing the importance of packing the bag according to family size.
- Participate with the Supervisor of Food Resource Services and Food Resource Associates in conducting Pantry Client Satisfaction Surveys and focus groups.
- Help plan and facilitate the Annual Food Pantry Network meetings in both Brooklyn and Queens. Encourage all pantry volunteers to attend.
- Adhere to all the administrative and data collection activities required to comply with contractual obligations with HPNAP, including maintenance and timely submission of food pantry network statistics.
- Offer technical assistance as needed to pantries in order to increase the accuracy of the data.
- Regularly meet with Supervisor of Senior Director of Community Program Services, Associate Director of Health and Wellness Initiative and Supervisor of Food Resource Services, to plan program enhancement activities focused on health, wellness education and nutrition workshops. Facilitate these events with Supervisor of Food Resource Services.
- Develop internal and external linkages while engaging in community building activities.
- Keep informed of the agency’s Best Practices Principles and thorough knowledge of CCBQ programs and activities.
- Assist in facilitation of focus groups about food pantry, health and wellness issues at various locations.
- Stay up-to-date and learn about the issues and policies that pertain to the hunger landscape. Participate in rallies and campaigns to fight against hunger and advocate for food justice. Empower and encourage pantry guests to get involved and advocate on their own behalf.
- Strictly adhere to and enforce all the Agency policies regarding Confidentiality and Corporate Compliance regulations.
- Keep informed of all scheduled activities at Network Pantries and the Health and Wellness Initiative Services’ off-site locations, and of all Agency Programs, providing this information to interested parties as needed.
- Assist General Manager for Programming Services in other duties as assigned.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR EDUCATION/LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS
- BA degree or HS diploma and 5years’ experience in related field
- Valid driver's license, proof of department of motor vehicles driving history, 3 years of current driving experience with no more than one moving violation in the previous 24 months (2 years), and no driving while intoxicated convictions
SPECIFICATIONS FOR EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Proficiency in phone network competencies and skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, transactional, and computer skills.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure, completing tasks in a timely fashion.
- Ability to participate in team-oriented work and promote intra agency community.
- Ability to work with staff and follow operations while reflecting the Mission of Catholic Charities.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, & climbing stairs.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Should be able to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, & office equipment.
- Ability to read printed & handwritten materials.
- Able to travel throughout the five boroughs as needed.
- Ability to climb stairs.
- Ability to transport necessary supplies to and from locations as needed.
- Ability to work flexible hours (evenings/weekends) as assigned.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Travel Required Yes
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- 155-55 Cross Bay Blvd, Howard Beach, NY 11414, USA