Utility Worker I/II CDL
Under the immediate or general supervision of a Lead Supervisor or higher; to perform, either alone or within a team, required construction, maintenance and operational duties in the assigned Division/Branch of the of the water and sewer system. The Wastewater Collection Utility Worker may also assist with accomplishing some Water Distribution-related tasks.
These positions do not exercise supervision.
IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Inspect, clean, repair, install and/or replace damaged Wastewater Collection lines, valves, manhole rings/ lids, and pumps Tap sewer lines, maintain lift stations, operate TV monitor and survey camera, help maintain utility property and easements.
- Operate at least one of the following: backhoe, dump truck, sewer stop/jetter, air compressor, or vacuum truck.
- Maintain a safe and productive work site at all times.
Utility Worker II
- Operate all of the following: backhoe, dump truck, sewer stop/jetter, air compressor, and vacuum truck.
- Investigate customer complaints related to leaks, sanitary sewer overflows, manhole safety, and other issues related to wastewater collection.
- Contact and coordinate with required personnel/agencies to make repairs.
- Communicate effectively with other employees, customers and supervisors the nature and status of work being performed.
OTHER JOB RELATED DUTIES
Perform other job related duties and responsibilities as assigned
JOB RELATED AND ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
Safe driving and heavy equipment operating principles and practices.
All approved methods, materials, tools, equipment, and practices used to safely repair and maintain water and sewerage systems.
The different jobs and tasks in the assigned Division/Branch and how they generally impact the operations of the City’s water and sewerage systems.
The use of general Geographical Information System (GIS) applications.
City of Abilene Policies and Procedures within six (6) months of employment.
Safely operate and care for all tools, vehicles, equipment and materials.
Safeguard and effectively use assigned information technology equipment in the field.
Pay attention-to-detail when performing general maintenance work.
Accomplish required tasks at their minimum acceptable rate for this position.
Communicate clearly and concisely verbally and in written reports.
Read and understand street maps displayed on paper and electronic devices.
Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, both internally and externally.
Follow and embrace the City of Abilene Core Values – Respect, Integrity, Service Above Self, and Excellence in All We Do.
Experience and Training Guidelines:
Any combination equivalent to experience and training to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be qualifying. Knowledge, skills, and abilities may be obtained through:
Utility Worker I
Six (6) months of experience as a Laborer, Utility Worker, or other related work is required.
A high school diploma or GED is required.
License or Certificate:
Possession of, or the ability to obtain a valid Texas Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) within 120 days of employment is required.
Possession of or the ability to obtain a TCEQ Wastewater Collection I license within one (1) year of employment is required.
Utility Worker II
Two (2) years of experience comparable to a Utility Worker I with the City of Abilene is required.
License or Certificate:
A valid Texas Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) is required.
A valid TCEQ Wastewater Collection II license is required.
A valid TCEQ Wastewater Collection III license is highly desired.
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment:
Ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, and climb.
With or without accommodation, ability to lift up to 90 pounds.
Working outside or in a confined work space with exposure to cold, heat, noise, chemicals, and hazardous materials.
Ability to travel to different sites.
Availability to work an 8-hour shift during normal business hours, and be on standby (on call) to work outside normal business hours, as needed.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $17.18
- Max Hiring Rate $21.67
- Water Distribution, 701 E. Hwy 80, Abilene, Texas, United States of America