Customer Service Representative II - Water Utility
Under direction of the Division Manager of Water Utilities, to perform a variety of customer service duties involved in assisting water utility customers in handling customer inquiries and complaints. Work may involve customer service and collections as well as processing orders, payments, mail, and routine reports. Work is performed under general supervision, but requires some independence consistent with established policies and procedure.
This position exercises no supervision.
IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
Customer Service Representative I/II
1. Receives cash, check, credit card, and/or money order payments. Issues receipts for a variety of transactions including payment of utility bills, service fees, and deposits.
2. Validates, balances, and reconciles receipts daily.
3. Processes orders to reconnect water accounts in conjunction with payment receipt.
4. Retrieves and opens mail from post office box.
5. Uses utility billing and other computer programs to research problems concerning customer account balances and water consumption.
6. Communicates with other divisions of the utility and/or departments to obtain and process information.
7. Maintains files and compiles receipt reports.
Customer Service Representative II
8. Assists water utility customers in arranging for water service and transfer of accounts.
9. Acts as customer’s agent to resolve service problems, assist with payment concerns, and answer questions regarding water bills and consumption.
10. Processes mail payments and prepare remote deposit. Post payments made at off-site locations for utility bills and service fees.
11. Processes orders for water taps from builders and contractors.
OTHER JOB RELATED DUTIES
Performs clerical work as needed including typing correspondence, completing forms, filing, and contacting customers.
Perform other job related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
General office practices and procedures.
Basic bookkeeping processes
The procedures, practices, and techniques of customer service
Operate a computer and other office equipment.
Provide excellent customer service.
Effectively and calmly interact with a high volume of customers.
Perform basic clerical functions such as typing, filing, and data entry.
Use a computer to process payments, customer inquiries, and service orders.
Promptly and accurately receive payments, make change, and issue receipts.
Learn, understand and apply policies, procedures, and practices to decisions.
Use resourcefulness and tact when dealing with irate customers.
Perform mathematical computations and calculations with accuracy.
Communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, both internally and externally.
Follow and embrace the City of Abilene Core Values – Respect, Integrity, Service Above Self, and Excellence in All We Do.
Experience and Training Guidelines:
Any combination equivalent to experience and training to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be qualifying. Knowledge, skills, and abilities may be obtained through:
Customer Service Representative I
This is an entry-level position and one (1) year of continuous general clerical experience involving heavy public contact is required.
Customer Service Representative II
Two (2) years of continuous general clerical experience with heavy public contact is required.
A high school diploma or a GED is required.
License or Certificate:
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment:
With or without accommodation, ability to lift up to 35 pounds.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $14.40
- Max Hiring Rate $17.30
- Water Office, 4595 S. 1ST, Abilene, Texas, United States of America