Sideloader Serv - Equipment Operator I CDL Solid Waste
Under general supervision, to perform skilled work in the operation of solid waste equipment. Safely operate solid waste collection equipment on assigned route. Perform occasional manual work.
These positions exercised no supervision.
IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
1. Operate trash collection or recycling vehicles, and other Solid Waste Services vehicles and equipment as needed.
2. Pick up trash, brush, litter, bulky items, and recycling materials.
3. Read street maps and route sheets to locate route destinations. Learn and follow collection routes.
4. Perform basic vehicle inspections and preventive maintenance.
5. Check, service, and clean equipment.
6. Maintain vehicle records.
7. Safe completion of the route; and follow all Division safety rules.
8. Report unsafe working conditions, accidents, and injuries to supervisor.
9. Inform supervisor of unsafe or broken sanitation containers and unsafe or, difficult or poorly maintained collection sites.
10. Complete paperwork, forms, and reports related to collection services.
11. Dump collected trash or recyclables at designated dump sites/landfill.
12. Train Equipment Operator I employees in the proper use of equipment.
OTHER JOB RELATED DUTIES
Perform other job related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Operating characteristics and servicing of one or more types of solid waste handling equipment.
Work hazards and applicable safety precautions associated with assigned equipment and division operations.
Applicable traffic laws, ordinances, and regulations involved in the operation of assigned equipment.
Safe driving principles and practices.
Operate and care for a variety of tools, machinery, and equipment used in the area of work assigned.
Safely operate motor vehicles and equipment.
Complete assigned route by following written and printed instructions.
Read maps and write reports.
Maintain a safe driving record.
Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, both internally and externally.
Follow and embrace the City of Abilene Core Values – Respect, Integrity, Service Above Self, and Excellence in All We Do.
Experience and Training Guidelines:
Any combination equivalent to experience and training to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be qualifying. Knowledge, skills, and abilities may be obtained through:
Equipment Operator I - CDL
This is an entry-level position designed to familiarize the employee with various equipment and routes.
Previous experience in the safe operation of large commercial equipment is preferred.
Equipment Operator II - CDL
A minimum of 90-days of experience with the operation and servicing of City of Abilene Solid Waste equipment and service routes is required.
Completed training on assigned equipment as verified by the assigned trainer on a Training Completion form is required.
Equipment Operator I / II
A high school diploma or GED is required.
License or Certificate:
A valid Texas Class A or Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with air brake endorsement is required.
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment:
With or without accommodation, ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
Ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, and climb.
Exposure to noise, outdoors, vibration, chemicals, and mechanical hazards.
Ability to travel to different sites.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $17.18
- Max Hiring Rate $20.71
- Solid Waste & Recycling, 149 Gann St, Abilene, Texas, United States of America