6131 Telegraph Rd, Commerce, CA 90040, USA Req #1971
Friday, June 4, 2021
Commerce Casino is the world’s largest card casino offering more than 200 tables. Established in 1983, the casino values its staff of over 2,500 employees and is proud to be known as “Where the World Comes to Play.” Commerce Casino offers a comprehensive benefits package to include medical, dental, vision, life, flexible spending accounts, 401(k), vacation time, and much more!
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS
Under direction of designated venue Sous Chef, the Cook III prepares food/menu items for guest consumption utilizing only approved recipes, cooking methods and ingredients as set by Food & Beverage/Culinary Management; maintains all food, equipment and kitchens to set health codes and casino standards; maintains positive, team oriented and accommodating attitude toward guests (internal as well as external), fellow team members and management, at all times.
1. Maintains designated workstation ensuring that recipes, flavor profiles, consistency in quality, appearance; ensures production time frames are adhered to for all menu/food items being produced on assigned station; ensures workstations are fully stocked for forecasted business flow and restock before end of shift.
2. Possess adequate knowledge of basic food products (meat, poultry, fish, produce, dry goods, etc.) and standard food production equipment; possess adequate knife skills and ability to sufficiently perform all basic cooking method, as well as the ability to multitask within those basic cooking methods to ensure no interruption in servicing of the guests.
3. Demonstrates kitchen leadership on the hot line. Job functions include, but are not limited to: Grill Station, Wok Station, Expediting, Station Inventory, etc.
4. Possesses adequate understanding the food rotation method “FIFO”; directly responsible for labeling and dating all food items on their designated station as well as the kitchen as a whole; ensures all food items are within expiration dates or if not, that they are disposed of and properly logged on waste sheets.
5. Possesses the ability to read food order tickets and identify menu items and substitution/special requests in a timely and clear manner as well as communicate those requests clearly to fellow team members.
6. Directs Prep Cooks to accomplish kitchen/workstation needs, in a positive supportive and educational/ team-oriented manner; assists with training other team members on workstations.
7. Maintains acceptable attendance record and arrives at workstation at scheduled time, in proper uniform and ready to work.
8. Reports any injuries, accidents or possible unsafe work environment or health code issues to management immediately upon identification at all times.
9. Performs any job responsibilities and or tasks deemed necessary by Culinary Management within the scope of this position and business needs of the department.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS - ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and working environment described here are representative of those that an employee encounters and must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
1. Primary work environment is in a climate-controlled restaurant environment within a gaming facility. Incumbents may be required to work evening, weekend and holiday shifts.
2. Employee may be exposed to highly stressful situations where a great deal of tact and diplomacy is necessary.
3. Hearing sufficient to hear conversational levels in person.
4. Speech sufficient to make oneself heard and understood in person, in front of groups, in meetings, and over the telephone.
5. Visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned, or to make general observations of facilities, guests and employees.
6. Strength sufficient to frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds below or at waist level and occasionally lift, move or carry objects over 50 pounds below and at waist level.
7. Mobility sufficient to safely move in a restaurant and gaming facility; handle or feel objects, tools or controls, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, bend, kneel, crouch or crawl, and reach with hands and arms.
8. Endurance sufficient to sit, walk and stand for extended periods, and maintain efficiency throughout the entire work shift and during extended work hours.
9. Physical activities that apply to the essential functions of the position are: balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, repetitive motions.
10. The employee will be exposed potential physical hazards (hot ovens/stoves, sharp blades, automated equipment) which require constant attention to environment/surroundings.
11. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
12. The employee is exposed to fumes or airborne particles including secondhand smoke.
Work Experience Required: Minimum two (2) years’ experience in a high-volume operation of similar standards to the casino. Must have previous and extensive work experience as a Cook II or similar position.
Education: High School Diploma or GED required; Vocational/Technical/Business certification preferred.
Certificates/Licenses/Registrations: Must obtain and maintain a Food Handler’s or ServSafe Card and negative Tuberculosis (TB) test.
Other Requirements: Maintain clean and proper work attire in accordance with company policy.
1. Job Knowledge - Demonstrates the necessary management, administrative, professional and/or technical skills to meet or exceed position expectations. Uses common sense approach to completing tasks and meeting deadlines. Keeps job knowledge current, is in command of all critical issues that develop day-to-day on the job. Seeks to increase job knowledge and value to organization.
2. Productivity – Ability to manage acceptable workloads, volunteers for additional work, prioritizes tasks, develops good work procedures, manages time well, and handles/integrates new information and/or procedures well.
3. Communication – Communicates well both verbally and in writing. Creates accurate and punctual reports, demonstrates good listening skills. Demonstrates behavior that is welcoming, friendly, open and approachable.
4. Interpersonal Skills – Builds strong individual and team relationships within and outside the department. Flexible, open minded and demonstrates the ability to build rapport and satisfaction by handling all situations effectively as they arise.
5. Dependability – Meets commitments, deadlines, and works independently, completes all assignments or job tasks without management follow up, and accepts accountability for results.
6. Quality Service - Ability to handle internal/external customer questions, concerns and complaints effectively and communicates positively. Consistently maintain a pleasant, approachable, professional image.
7. Teamwork/Partnering – Contributes to meeting all team deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others and values opinions, helps Supervisor/team leader to meet goals, promotes a team atmosphere. Consistently demonstrates collaboration and cooperation skills and openly supports management in accomplishing department and business goals.
8. Initiative – Independently identifies problems and takes independent action to successfully resolve issues, willingly seeks out new or additional responsibilities, acts on opportunities to improve overall operations, generates new ideas. Takes advantage of opportunities to learn new skills. Demonstrates the ability to learn.
Adaptability/Flexibility- Adapts to change, is open to new ideas, willingly takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, and adjust plans to meet departmental/business enterprise needs
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education High School
- 6131 Telegraph Rd, Commerce, CA 90040, USA