At Commerce Casino, job expectations for Sous Chef reflects their responsibilities as key supervisory members. These expectations are based on the Sous Chef’s key role in demonstrating (1) leadership, (2) ownership of responsibility for everything that occurs in the back of the house, and (3) communication, with their employees.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Oversee the day-to-day operation of the Commerce Casino food program. Including the management of all back of house employees in coordination with the Director of Culinary Operations, Specialty Chef, and Chef de Cuisine.
- Organize and deploy the Kitchen Management team to efficiently and effectively operate each individual Food and Beverage revenue center.
- Responsible for the leadership, evaluation, training, hiring, and scheduling of all personnel. This will be accomplished through effective leadership of direct reports (Kitchen Managers and Kitchen Leads). as well as hands on interaction and training of line employees.
- Be active participants in meeting or exceeding the fiscal goals (Food Cost, Labor Cost) of the Food and Beverage department.
- Ready and able to participate in interviewing/hiring potential candidates, creating relevant schedules, training/cross-training employees.
- Track and record inventory daily and replenish, as necessary. At month end, assist in the full back of house inventory.
- Assist in the formulation of service policies and standards. Provide leadership and direction in the enforcement of these standards.
- Ensure HACCP plan is in place and adhered to by all back of house employees. This is done through the creation and implementation of daily Jolt logs/checklists and service audits.
- Ensure accurate and timely documentation of attendance variance reports, customer issues, and shift reports.
- Work closely with the Director of Culinary Operations, Specialty Chef, and Chef de Cuisine to design new menus with seasonality, consistency, and profitability in mind.
- Assure all Commerce Casino Policies, Procedures, and Standards are always followed, specifically those set by the Culinary Leadership Team.
- Ability to provide summary reports and financial summaries and updates to Culinary Leadership Team.
- Actively participate in departmental and company training programs as required.
- Perform additional tasks as directed by Culinary Leadership Team.
The duties listed are not set forth for the purposes of limiting the assignment of work. They are not to be construed as a complete list of the many duties normally to be performed under a position title or those to be assigned and performed temporarily outside of an employee’s normal line of work.
Work Experience Required:
Minimum of five (5) years full-service restaurant/bar experience in high volume establishments
College Degree from an accredited University
- Firm knowledge of back of house inventory control software systems such as Birchstreet. Must have experience in the creation of Requisitions, Creating Purchase Orders, Inventory Management, Recipe Implementation, Menu Pricing.
- Experience in the set up and maintenance of the JOLT System as well as the ability to train Kitchen Managers and Kitchen Leads.
- Advanced experience in the operation of Micros or other POS systems, as well as the ability to generate and effectively and accurately analyze reports from these systems is required
- Strong professional leadership skills are essential, and individual must possess exceptional written and oral business communication skills
- Pay Type Hourly
- 6131 Telegraph Rd, Commerce, CA 90040, USA