Vice President API Platform Product Strategy
Vice President, API Platform Product Strategy
FLEETCOR has initiated a search for a Vice President, API Platform Product Strategy, for our North America Fuel business. We are seeking an experienced product strategy leader to create and execute both long and short term product strategies, roadmap, and delivery of for our partners, customers and development ecosystem.
The Vice President, API Platform Product Strategy, is responsible for developing long term product strategy, providing thought leadership, and designing plans for the API experience for Fleetcor’s fleet products. This individual will be a part of the North America Fuel Product Leadership Team and will lead a cross functional, multidisciplinary team that includes UX Design, Software Development, Product Marketing, and Technology Partners working to implement strategy. The position will own the vision, definition, and delivery of our Platform, APIs, and integration marketplace and will be a key driver in our technical partner and product strategy. In this role, the VP is accountable for product growth; driving and delivering innovative new solutions; creating a differentiated market position; and forming and launching value-added partnerships. The role will help set and lead the product vision, product requirements, the development of strategy and roadmaps, and the go-to-market planning for new products.
- Build a long term view of API and Platform technologies in payments and the in the fleet ecosystem, with the intent of building FLEETCOR’s product strategy around those vectors.
- Develop a scalable Platform, API, and Integration product roadmap, with measurable goals, and working closely with a variety of stakeholders and cross-functional teams to execute the roadmap.
- Lead key select projects or major workstreams related to FLEETCOR’s overall product strategy to ultimately drive recommendations to senior leadership
- Partner with other members of the Product Leadership team to frame cross-product strategy questions and drive API and Platform projects and initiatives flowing from that.
- Work closely with LOB management teams, and be a strategic partner and resource to them on all aspects of new product innovation.
- Identify, prioritize, structure, and manage complex issues that drive product priorities and demonstrate bottom line results including long term pricing and commercialization strategies.
- Play the role of senior product manager on strategic projects, and bring timely and useful insight, perspective, and analytical support
- Work with limited direction, usually within a complex and often ambiguous environment, to drive rigorous, fact-based recommendations to LOB management and executives
- Manage project teams to structure and solve problems, collaborating and coordinating with a range of internal stakeholders
- Lead new product strategies from ideation through execution and roll out.
- Build compelling and integrated cases for new product concepts considering competitive factors, market demand, risk management, program economics, strategic fit, and operational complexity.
- Strengthen the FLEETCOR brand at relevant touch points and broaden the product range based on customer insight and demand.
- Conduct market, customer, and competitor analyses to identify opportunities to improve our core offerings or introduce new concepts.
- Manage effective customer communication and improve organizational responsiveness to customer requirements.
- Maintain a long-term, big picture view, foreseeing obstacles and opportunities and generate innovative ideas and solutions that create a win-win for FLEETCOR and the customer.
- Develop and present business cases for new product ideas, partnerships and enhancements.
- Develop a deep expertise in all FLEETCOR products to demonstrate industry leadership (including market-driven knowledge).
- Establish key performance metrics to measure product success on ongoing basis and adapt roadmap to improve product performance.
Your first 30 days
- Understand Fleetcor’s current product capabilities, roadmap, and existing API/Platform landscape.
- Work with your team to understand and align requirements, prioritization, and identification of customer and business problems to solve.
- Work with Agile Coach, UX team, and technical leads to refine requirements and set strategy.
Your first 60 days
- Assess the purpose and value of having a strategy centered around specific customer challenges and use the knowledge to understand and provide input on deliverables for your roadmap.
- Work with Product leadership team to define and validate the strategy and roadmap.
- Validate deliverables.
Your first 90 days
- Work with operational teams on roadmap execution.
- Evangelize the roadmap, build customer and partner relationships, and define success metrics.
- Be the guiding light for your team, introducing best practices as they execute on defined roadmap deliverables.
The Ideal Candidate
- 10+ years’ experience in B2B software product management/strategy in an agile and customer-centered environment.
- 3+ years of leading product strategy and product direction for API/Platform/Integration teams.
- 2+ years of directly managing and growing a team of Product Managers and/or Product Owners.
- Has superior strategic, analytic and problem solving skills, and is capable of clearly communicating a long-term vision across the company.
- Is integrated into the fleet, customer experience and/or payments industries, stays current on competitive and market trends, and brings those insights to inform Product strategy
- Natural collaborator, with straightforward communication style and strong executive presence. Must be disciplined and comfortable with ambiguity, possessing the maturity and capability to interact and influence across multiple levels of a matrixed organization
- Exhibit relevant and consistent leadership behaviors in team management, customer communications and internal interactions with peers, senior management, clients and third party vendors.
- Ability to structure, manage, and coordinate multiple complex cross-functional projects and processes with multiple stakeholders at both senior and junior levels
- Contribute by insightful and thoughtful questioning, offering new ideas, and delivering solutions
- Ambitious and resourceful; results oriented; highly innovative. Focused on business value creation through innovation.
- Highly analytical, data-driven mindset; holds self and others accountable with measurable ROI-oriented KPIs.
- Effective executor; pivots well from ideation to rapid-cycle implementation. Thrives in less structured environment that values speed-to-market over perfection.
About the Company:
FLEETCOR Technologies, Inc. (“FLEETCOR”) is a leading global provider of business payment solutions. We help companies of all sizes control, simplify and secure payment of various domestic and cross-border payables using specialized payment products. We serve businesses, partners, merchants, consumers and payment networks in North America, Latin America, Europe, and Asia Pacific.
- $2.4B Annual Revenue
- 600,000 Directly Served Business Clients
- 2.6B+ Transactions per Year
- 8,400+ Employees
(as of December 31, 2020)
Our payment solutions provide our customers with a payment method designed to be superior to and more robust and effective than what they use currently, whether they use a competitor’s product or another alternative method such as cash or check. We group our payment solutions into five primary categories: Fuel, Lodging, Tolls, Corporate Payments and Gift. Each category is unique in its focus, customer base and target markets, but they also share a number of characteristics: customers are primarily businesses, have recurring revenue models, have specialized networks which create barriers to entry, have high margins, and have similar selling systems.
FLEETCOR enjoys global recognition including:
- Forbes Global Growth Champion – FLEETCOR is one of the 250 fastest growing companies in the world as determined by Forbes and Statista
- Forbes World’s Most Innovative Companies – FLEETCOR has made this prestigious list of leading innovative companies 4 years in a row!
- Fortune 1000 Company – FLEETCOR was one of the largest movers in the new rankings of the largest companies in America, ranking #872
- S&P 500 – In 2018, FLEETCOR joined the S&P stock index comprised of the 500 leading US stocks based on market cap (company value)
Despite many advances in our industry, the majority of business payments are still made with outdated and inferior payment methods, such as checks and cash. We envision a business world where every purchase is controlled, every payment is digital, and every payment-related decision is well-informed. In this future paperless state, payments will require little to no time to manage, leaving companies with more time for what matters most: activities that grow their businesses.
FLEETCOR’s mission is to provide businesses with a better way to pay, by replacing outdated payment methods such as checks and cash, and displacing the incumbent providers of those methods. Through the digitalization of payments, we create and support robust ecosystems which benefit all participating constituents: payment-making customers, payment-accepting merchants, tax-collecting governments, and FLEETCOR.
FLEETCOR is a growth company, and we employ a simple three-prong strategy for growing our business:
- More Customers. We invest more than $200 million per year in sales and marketing, predominately focused on new customer acquisition. We continue to scale existing sales channels and headcount, enable our sales people with demand generation and other tools, and launch new distribution channels both internally and through partners such as ERP software providers, telematics companies, and banks. We will also grow our customer base inorganically through acquisitions.
- More Spend. We seek to leverage our existing customer relationships and capture greater share of their business payment expenditures. As such, we have developed various “beyond” initiatives, where we extend the utility of an existing payment product without degrading the core value proposition of the original product. As such, a customer can “buy more stuff” without sacrificing the controls and reporting which attracted the customer to our product to begin with. For example:
- Our Fuel card customers can enable their cards to allow non-fuel purchases relevant to their business, like allowing a painting crew to buy supplies at a home improvement store, so they can finish the paint job.
- Our Toll tag customers can use their in-vehicle RFID tags to make other “on the go” purchases like parking, fuel and fast-food.
For our customers, these product extensions reduce payment friction, saving them time and operational headaches. For FLEETCOR, these product extensions can increase our share of wallet with existing customers and can increase our products’ appeal and applicability to previously-unserved customer segments (e.g., non-toll urban dwellers). We also create new product offerings, developed internally or in conjunction with partners, to cross-sell to our existing customer base.
- More Geographies. We continue to seek attractive entry opportunities in major international markets, which we intend to pursue through acquisitions and partnerships.
Together we can foster true belonging. We know different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds lead to better innovation and results. We are therefore committed to building and nurturing a culture of diversity, inclusion, and belonging by:
- Welcoming people of different backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, genders, and sexual orientations;
- Empowering our people to share their experiences and ideas through open forums and individual conversations; and
- Valuing each person’s unique perspectives and individual contributions.
Embracing diversity enables our people to “make the difference” at FLEETCOR.
FLEETCOR’s culture reflects our history of fast growth and our continued drive for results. Our entrepreneurial spirit remains strong across our global workforce, and we reinforce these principles in our five core values:
- Innovation: Figure out a better way
- Execution: Get it done quickly
- Integrity: Do the right thing
- People: We make the difference
- Collaboration: Accomplish more together
These values guide all of our employees and are infused in all aspects of our Company. We are, as a team, united through these shared values and our mission to provide “a better way to pay.”
Our values foster an inclusive culture through the expectation that all employees will treat each other with respect and appreciate the diversity of identities, thoughts, backgrounds and styles. Our commitment to fostering an inclusive culture has never been more essential than in this moment of national reflection. We must always celebrate the diversity of our company and our communities.
We strongly believe that the quality and diversity of our workforce provide FLEETCOR with a competitive advantage, and that our problem-solving and solution-building efforts are greatly enhanced when we harness the collective thinking of a diverse group of people with unique experiences and perspectives.
FLEETCOR’s COVID-19 Hiring Guidelines:
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are temporarily working from home. In addition, FLEETCOR implemented a virtual interviewing and hiring process, engaging with talent by phone or video and onboarding new employees remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer:
FLEETCOR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. FLEETCOR provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, gender (including pregnancy), religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, language, ancestry, genetic information, veteran and/or military status or any other group status protected by federal or local law. If you require reasonable accommodation for the application and/or interview process, please notify a representative of the Human Resources Department.
- Job Family Leadership
- Job Function MANAGEMENT_NONSALES
- Pay Type Salary
- Employment Indicator Employee
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- 3280 Peachtree Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30305, USA