Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Savannah Morning News/savannahnow.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a digital-first trending reporter to join our team. The digital-first trending reporter will seek out stories that resonate with communities of color, highlights cultural news of interest and zeroes in on the latest trending news for audiences using metrics and social tools to help guide and shape story decisions. The reporter also leads “The 912” newsletter that is for and about Black Savannah.
The trending reporter blends urgency and creativity and is always curious about the community around them. This person should be resourceful and versatile, with an ability to quickly tackle a wide range of topics and deliver sharp headlines.
The position demands initiative, accuracy, urgency and insight. It also demands strong news judgement and the ability to find and identify stories and trends that are immediate, important and influential. Quick writing and reporting skills are crucial. This person can juggle a high volume of stories on a daily basis, all the while staying focused on the digital details of story production: Headlines, SEO, multimedia assets and other points of optimization.
The reporter who fills this position needs to be able to self-assign and re-prioritize in real-time. Additionally, this person needs to feel comfortable with being edited by peers – and to contribute in a peer-editing process.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Use analytics to guide story decisions and to understand how to deliver the content readers want to read.
- Cover news from a digital-first approach; that means breaking news online and developing stories as they unfold throughout the day.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 1-3 years’ reporting/newsroom experience preferred.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & urinalysis drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Georgia, USA
- Savannah, GA, USA