Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Clarion-Ledger/clarionledger.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is hiring a Communities Reporter to cover stories across Jackson's metropolitan area and across the state as they develop, via social media and mobile platforms. Coverage of local government is a fundamental responsibility of a local news organization, a critical part of the covenant between journalists and their communities. It also is the source of compelling stories that can grab audience attention. Here, watchdog journalism is executed at its most basic and essential level. Source-development is a crucial aspect of this beat, and public-records and data skills are invaluable. But the beat goes beyond accountability reporting. Alternative story forms should be explored to make the workings of government accessible. The reporter must understand what’s important, place local developments in larger contexts and seek ways to drive citizen engagement using social media and real-life interactions. Revealing how government affects, or neglects, actual people is a secret to success on this beat, and video must be part of every significant story. This digital journalist will break news regularly and contribute to weekend enterprise.
Flexibility is key in this job, which includes coverage of public safety agencies and courts, but is more than just a cops beat. This reporter will be expected to write both quick turns on the news of the day as well as regular enterprise, focusing on both public safety accountability and general assignment topics. Adaptability is essential. One day may involve covering bigger crime stories, while another day is digging into more in-depth reporting.
The ideal candidate will be an aggressive journalist who is just as comfortable working outside the newsroom as inside it. We want someone who will break news in real time, and then keep readers updated as the story evolves. We put an emphasis on digital over print, and most of our stories develop online and feature visuals, including photos and video, as a key element in storytelling.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- ·Connects with the community through storytelling.
- Build and execute content for upper funnel consumers to drive audience growth across our network through increased subscriptions.
- Produce content in alternative forms (listicles, Q&As, narratives, photo galleries, video — that are tailored to the right platform (mobile, desktop, social media) to best reach the audience.
- Use metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
- Works with content coach and digital partners to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with photographers to provide all appropriate elements for stories. Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1-3 years of previous reporting experience preferred; even better if you've covered breaking news or a public safety beat.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond to and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our audience's time and money.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories that matter.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with a team of journalists.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- This position involves an early start to the day and occasional weekend work.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen (for driving roles only).
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1.Your resume – one to two pages.
2.A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3.Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Jackson, MS, USA