Environmental Watchdog Reporter
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Environmental Watchdog Reporter
The El Paso Times/elpasotimes.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is an award-winning newsroom with a history of producing excellent watchdog journalism in our binational community on the U.S.-Mexico border. The Times is looking for an experienced environment watchdog reporter.
As part of our news team, you will focus on environment and climate change coverage while exploring human conditions that impact life in our unique city. The role requires an eagerness to tell stories about how we live in our community.
The reporter should look beyond environmental hazards and look for stories on how we are impacting our “environment.” This will require building a diverse list of sources to tell daily stories, quick features while working on longer-term packages.
You must follow strong journalistic standards, collaborate with our visual journalists, and work efficiently on enterprise stories.
This role is driven by a desire to tell stories that our readers through digital data tell us are important and interesting. It is important to be creative and curious about life along the border.
- Breaking environmental news stories on a consistent basis.
- Developing a robust source network that leads to scoops and exclusives.
- Reporting and writing short, medium, and long-form stories that inform and engage our audience.
- Connecting with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.).
- Providing thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Working with content strategist to analyze audience metrics.
- Collaborating with newsroom team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., photos, videos, and graphics). Capturing basic photos and video as needed.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-4 years of reporting experience, preferably on environmental topics. Experience with datasets and/or retrieving public records through the FOIA process.
- Work samples that demonstrate storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Proven experience producing accurate reports under deadline pressure, in a style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
- Proficiency on social media platforms including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Reddit.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to shoot basic photos and videos in a breaking news situation.
- Strong news judgement and ability to multitask.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Must be able to work occasional night and weekend shifts.
- Spanish language skills a plus
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- El Paso, TX, USA
- Texas, USA