Religion Reporter - South/Nashville, TN
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Tennessean and the USA Today Network - Tennessee is seeking a religion reporter to join our dynamic newsroom. Nashville is home to the Southern Baptist Convention, the largest Protestant denomination in the U.S., a large Christian publishing industry and vibrant Muslim and Jewish communities.
Religion and faith are intertwined in every day life across the South and nation. And it is often at the intersection of politics and public policy.
The successful candidate will regularly break news, hold religious leaders and institutions accountable and tell stories about how faith motivates communities and individuals to act – in both positive and negative ways.
The writer who joins our award-winning team will have a commitment to holding those in power to account, reporting on solutions, a passion for storytelling and innovation, video and social media expertise and the ability to collaborate with colleagues. The ideal candidate produces smart, context-filled stories and other content on tight deadlines and understands the difference in writing for various platforms.
This is a high-profile position in the Nashville newsroom with the ability to regularly tell stories for a regional audience across the South and a national audience through USA Today and USA Today Network. It requires a versatile journalist equally skilled in building and working sources as well as developing and reporting new angles on trending topics.
The successful candidate will:
- Report and deliver a steady stream of news stories to a growing audience that looks to The Tennessean as the definitive source of news for Nashville and Tennessee.
- Put a human face on the news, approaching the beat through the lens of stories impact residents.
- Bring a digital mindset to the beat, social media savvy and a willingness to experiment to bring the news to readers where they are. That means employing real-time metrics to respond to audience demand and reader interest.
- Use live video to spotlight breaking news and high-interest events.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues and produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media platforms.
Here's what you need:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related discipline
- At least three to five years of reporting experience
- Prior religion reporting experience preferablebut not required
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Ability to produce accurate and detailed content in a competitive environment
- Expertise with all major social media platforms
- Video production skills a plus
- A valid driver's license is required
The USA Today Network – Tennessee consists of The Tennessean in Nashville, the Knoxville News Sentinel, The Commercial Appeal in Memphis, The Leaf-Chronicle in Clarksville, the Daily News Journal in Murfreesboro, The Daily Herald in Columbia and the Oak Ridger in Oak Ridge. We are an energetic and fast-paced media company with a news team committed to covering Tennessee. If you’re looking for a rewarding challenge, the USA Today Network - Tennessee is the place to be.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Nashville, TN, USA
- Tennessee, USA