TITLE: Goodwill Excel Center Computer Systems Manager
TEAM: Technology and Infrastructure
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Goodwill IT Director (with dotted line to Excel Center Executive Director)
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining the information technology infrastructure for both campuses of The Goodwill Excel Center and managing all student and staff user support activities. Lead efforts to create an environment that promotes the use of technology for in-person, virtual, and hybrid learning models This position is responsible and will be held accountable for behaving in accordance with Goodwill’s RISE values and expectations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Partner with staff to understand educational goals and changing priorities throughout the school year and to identify and quickly implement appropriate technology solutions to help achieve those goals.
2. Purchase, configure, deploy, and maintain all aspects of the technology infrastructure, including communication circuits, networking equipment, hardware, software, security systems, and mobile devices.
3. Set up, monitor, and manage Microsoft Office 365 accounts for all staff and students on Microsoft’s Azure platform. This includes email accounts for 400+ students.
4. Work with school administrators and coaches to set up and manage Microsoft Teams for Education, ensuring that all students on the active roster during each of the five school terms each school year have accounts with appropriate access and assisting staff and students in troubleshooting any issues. Work with school administrators, teachers, and coaches to troubleshoot Microsoft Teams for Education issues and student device issues in the day-to-day operation of the school.
5. Work closely with the Excel Center Data Manager to ensure that data is transferred accurately and timely between PowerSchool (the student information system) and Microsoft Teams for Education.
6. Develop and implement processes to ensure that all endpoint devices are protected by anti-malware software and that security patches are provided in a timely manner for all devices.
7. Receive, prioritize, and address all IT issues reported by staff and students (working through their assigned coach) via email requests to an automated ticketing system. Engage Goodwill IT and/or third party resources as necessary to resolve issues. Provide periodic reporting regarding number of tickets received, types of tickets, mean time to resolution, etc.
8. Work with staff to set up hardware and software for recurring new student testing and orientation sessions (held five times per school year) as well as standardized testing and similar activities.
9. Facilitate training for staff and students as needed on hardware and software products.
10. Maintain detailed inventories of all school devices including those issued out for student use. Ensure that lists are updated in near real-time as devices are issued to students or students withdraw from school. Maintain detailed records regarding software license allocations and renewal dates, hardware warranty expiration dates, mobile device assignments, etc.
11. Oversee temporary IT support staff as needed and required by business from time to time.
12. Execute on other IT initiatives and projects as directed by school leadership and/or Goodwill IT management.
1. Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree and 5-7 years of experience in IT support positions.
2. Passion for our mission of helping adult residents of Washington, DC obtain a high school diploma and the skills needed to succeed in today’s workforce. Passion for working in a school environment with adult learners.
3. Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to work effectively with staff and students who have widely varying degrees of technical aptitude.
4. Positive, flexible attitude and ability to adjust priorities quickly and manage time effectively to meet changing business needs.
5. Strong knowledge of Microsoft product suite including Azure, Active Directory, Microsoft Teams for Education, Windows 10, and Office 365. Strong knowledge of Microsoft hardware such as Surface Go tablets and Surface Books, as well as other IT hardware such as security cameras, access control systems, SMART Boards, printers, copiers, telephones, etc.
6. Strong knowledge of IT troubleshooting procedures and other processes like patch management and asset management.
7. Demonstrated attention to detail.
8. Project management skills – ability to define tasks, create schedules, and work with others to ensure that activities are completed on time.
1. Prior experience supporting a high school, college, or other educational institution.
2. Microsoft certifications in relevant products like Office 365 and Teams for Education.
Lifting 50 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and/ carrying objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
General office environment infrequently exposed to extreme atmospheric conditions (temperature, noise, fumes, dust, etc.)