Director of Sales - Retail
Join our Team as we Grow Together! As the largest independent wholesale food distributor in the U.S., with 15 distribution centers from coast-to-coast, Harvest Sherwood is an essential and critical infrastructure business. We buy, sell and deliver fresh, high quality protein products and other foods to over 6,000 retail and foodservice customers. As a trusted partner and value-added link between our suppliers and customers, we meet local needs of the communities we serve reliably and frequently on a national scale.
We are One diverse Team helping our customer and vendor partners capture value and win in an increasingly dynamic environment. During the COVID-19 pandemic we have continued to operate Safely and Efficiently, and we live our other shared values every day. Trust and Integrity is the foundation of our work culture. We are Growing Together through Teamwork and Respect. We are Loyal and Committed to each other and every day we strive to do our best work with a Positive Mindset. If you share these values, we invite you to join our Team.
Harvest Sherwood is a great place to work where we can all develop and Grow Together by seizing opportunities, learning new skills, and taking on greater responsibility. We encourage you to bring your talent and effort to Harvest Sherwood and contribute to our shared success, while having fun supporting each other, serving our customers, and creating value for them, our vendors and investors, and strengthening the local communities in which we operate.
The Director of Sales - Retail is responsible for managing the sales operations and staff in a specified branch, while working closely with marketing through participation and input in products and services. This individual will drive revenue generation through understanding and utilizing the company’s product, organizational, and customer knowledge to influence customers and assist them in applying the products/services to their needs. The Director of Sales - Retail also directs branch Sales Associates within the branch and is responsible for recruiting, training and mentoring new hires and existing Sales Associates within an assigned branch.
The Director of Sales – Retail will be assigned duties, based on organizational needs and priorities.
- Achieve branch sales operational objectives by contributing branch sales information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews; prepare and complete action plans; implement production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; resolve problems; complete audits; identify trends; determine branch sales system improvements; and implement change
- Meet branch sales financial objectives by forecasting requirements, prepare annual budget schedule expenditures, analyze variances, and initiate corrective actions
- Establish sales objectives by creating a sales plan and quota for branches in support of company/branch objectives
- Maintain and expand customer base by counseling branch sales associates, build and maintain rapport with key customers, and identify new customer opportunities
- Recommend product lines by identifying new product opportunities, and/or product, packaging, and service changes, survey consumer needs and trends, and track competitors
- Provide leadership by establishing credibility, act with integrity, show and inspire commitment, and motivate and guide team to achieve goals
- Manage the overall activities of the branch including the directing, advising, and managing of direct and indirect subordinates to ensure strong team member and team performance
- Work with management to ensure employees understand the goals and objectives of their positions and have the tools to meet and exceed those goals.
- Develop, maintain, and administer a sound organizational plan, initiating improvements as necessary
- Establish performance expectations, monitor against expectations, and provide necessary feedback to team members to enhance their growth in position and promotional opportunities
- Coordinate with other departments within the branch and communications within, between, and among various functional areas ensuring a cohesive relationship throughout all levels and locations
- Perform other tasks as needed
Qualifications and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 10 years’ experience managing within a food distribution facility environment
- Previous sales management experience, to include experience in developing the overall sales plan/ budget for the assigned branch
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong communication skills with the ability to interact within a cross functional team
- History of customer-focused leadership
- Ability to demonstrate a sense of urgency, self-motivation, commitment, and sense of ownership is a must
- Familiarity of local industry trends and issues in the food service industry
- Extremely strong sales & sales management skills focused on managing salespeople, and training and motivating them to sell “value” more effectively
- Proven management level leadership skills that are self-motivated and results driven
- Ability to motivate a multi-functional, diverse team to collaborate effectively around a common vision
- Capable of working with peers and associates from other departments and shifts in a proactive and constructive manner
Harvest-Sherwood is committed to offering competitive benefits to our employees and their dependents, including paid vacation, health insurances, and a 401K plan!
*We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Job Family Sales
- Pay Type Salary
- Hamilton Meats, 3515 Main Street, Chula Vista, California, United States of America