Traffic Signal Timing Engineer
Iteris is a pioneer and leader in transportation innovations and has been for more than 15 years. We have a long history of firsts in our industry, from developing statewide traveler information systems and connected vehicle technologies to traffic performance measurement and analytics software solutions. Our smart detection sensors – which can detect and differentiate between vehicle, pedestrians, cyclists and more – are used in one-third of all signalized intersections in the U.S. and are deployed in more than 40 countries worldwide.
Our 10,000+ customers, including state, local and federal agencies, traffic engineering departments, and commercial enterprise customers, look to Iteris as the “trusted advisor” for guidance on smart mobility best practices and ways to make intersections safer, less congested, and more sustainable and cost-effective to operate.
We are paving the way to the future of transportation and we want you to join us on this important journey.
Iteris is seeking a Traffic Signal Timing Engineer.
What you will be doing:
Perform advanced‐level engineering related to traffic operations. Provide highly visible customer traffic operations support through the performance of on-site installation, as well as overseeing any necessary diagnoses, troubleshooting, service, and repair of complex equipment and systems.
- Independently analyze, assess, and interpret data, conditions, and systems to plan and execute traffic signal retiming projects, covering the data collection phase through the project reporting phase
- Develop and implement strategies for improving arterial traffic flow and safety, prepare the development of system performance measurement tools, standard operating policies/procedures, deficiency reports and mitigation plans, coordinate with local agencies related to the operation and maintenance of traffic signals and arterial systems
- Sign and seal engineering reports as Engineer of Record (EOR)
- Closely coordinate with our department groups as needed
- Train staff on traffic engineering fundamentals as well as advanced tactics to efficiently move traffic
- Continuously improve project delivery (both quality and speed) through process improvements and staff training
- Provide engineering support for our Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSM&O) performance monitoring platforms
- Interact professionally and proactively with clients to ensure clients are highly satisfied
- Maintain knowledge of Advanced Transportation Management System (ATMS) platforms, optimization software, and analysis software to ensure technical competence
- Travel, as required, to participate in retiming deployments. Length of travel will depend on specific assignments and the successful completion of your responsibilities.
What you need to be successful in this role:
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in traffic signal systems and traffic engineering principles
- Accomplished in common tools such as Synchro, CADD, GIS, traffic signal controller platforms, and all ATMS platforms
- Traffic Management Center (TMC) operations
- Hampton Roads District arterial corridors knowledge preferred
- Bachelor's Degree (four year college or technical school) preferred in Civil Engineering, Transportation Planning, Electrical Engineering, or related field or equivalent work experience.
- IMSA Traffic Signal Field Technician Level II (or willingness to obtain; we provide financial assistance)
- Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE) license is a plus
- Professional Engineer (PE) license is also a plus.
What’s in it for you:
- Incentive-based fiscal year-end bonuses
- 401(k)/Retirement savings plan and match on day one
- Comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- Vision plan
- Life insurance
- Medical reimbursement plans
- Disability coverage
- Generous paid-time-off (PTO) benefits
- Family-friendly programs
- Comprehensive education assistance program
- Home computer purchase assistance program
- In-house training programs
Iteris, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
- Job Function Systems - Southeast
- Pay Type Salary
- Virginia Beach, VA, USA