Reading Truck Group - Buyer
JOB TITLE: BUYER
COMPANY: THE READING TRUCK GROUP
LOCATION: CLAREMORE, OK
This position plays a critical role in managing suppliers, orders, and purchased items from sourcing to order placement to receipt. The Buyer is responsible for source selection and procurement functions directly associated with the company's needs for direct and indirect materials and services. This role has regular interaction with other departments such as operations, engineering, quality, sales and finance. The successful candidate for this position has experience in the manufacturing industry and a strong understanding of supply chain management concepts.
We are a leading manufacturer, distributor and fleet sales expert of premium truck bodies with commercial upfit for vocational markets nationwide. We strive for a pioneering attitude and a focused commitment to innovation in all we do.
- Ensure material availability to meet production demand, and support manufacturing with the implementation of Just In Time (JIT), vendor managed inventory (VMI) and stock inventory based on production schedules and forecasts
- Perform purchasing responsibilities such as material quoting, contract negotiations, purchase orders, and issues with receipts
- Develop and review demand trends and forecasts to determine the most efficient purchasing quantities and frequencies. Interact with key suppliers, providing manufacturing forecast to support build schedule
- Manage the day to day operations of designated supply base, including communicating demand forecasts to suppliers
- Drive continuous improvement of processes and results by generating ideas for improvement and participating in project teams or Lean events
- Work closely with Reading and JBPCo Strategic Procurement Team to advance enterprise wide sourcing programs and cost savings initiatives
- Lead and support sourcing activities as necessary, and source new vendors when needed
- Support new product development (NPD) and cost reduction projects
- Track supplier performance using the supplier scorecard, and communicate results to suppliers on a quarterly basis
- Develop vendor partnerships to achieve objectives for cost, order quantities, lead-times, quality, on time delivery, and on-hand inventory dollars
- Review on-hand inventory balances for excess or obsolete inventory to determine substitution options, return to supplier, or resell
- Study market prices and trends, new technologies, manufacturing process improvements applicable to assigned commodities
- Effectively communicate with customer service, sales and engineering on part number issues, lead-times, new parts, etc.
- Maintain purchasing systems and procedures with high data accuracy and integrity, including information such as lead-time, safety stock, minimum order quantities, supplier contact data, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Position Qualifications & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, logistics, supply chain or a related field is preferred
- Minimum of two years of experience in a purchasing role
- Experience with ERP/MRP systems and functions is required. Experience with JDE is a plus.
- Manufacturing industry or background experience preferred
- CPSM or APICS certification preferred
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent computer skills in Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- In-depth knowledge in key commodities such as steel, aluminum, fabrications, hardware and fasteners is preferred
- Must be self-motivated and self-disciplined and able to work in fast-paced environment with numerous priorities and responsibilities
- General understanding of Lean tools, specifically Pull and Kanban, is preferred
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Collaborate work style that contributes to a team environment
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to collaborate with a multi-department team
Supervisory responsibilities: None
- Professional office environment
- Sedentary work with extended periods of computer use
- Occasional work in warehouse/manufacturing plant.
- Must be able to wear required Personal Protective equipment (PPE)
Travel: Minimal – may be required by car or plane
The Reading Group, LLC (TRG) does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, ancestry veteran status or any other status protected by law.
- Job Family Reading Truck Group
- Pay Type Salary
- Claremore, OK, USA