Provide information, advice and legal assistance to all transportation and support departments to ensure compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations and to limit and manage the Company's exposure to all types of risks. Responsible for legal review, interpretation, and maintenance for Landstar contracts submitted to the legal department. Provide training and oversight to department and company staff on contract, regulatory, compliance and related issues. Responsibility for handling various claims, citations, and disputes that may include customs violations, overweight citations, accounts receivable and accounts payable disputes, etc. Aid and assist with special projects as may be assigned from time to time by the Assistant General Counsel and General Counsel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the General Counsel in maintaining the legal integrity of the Company.
- Provide information, advice and legal assistance concerning transportation services provided by the operating companies of the Company.
- Review, revise and provide contract review, interpretation, and maintenance for Landstar contracts submitted to the legal department
- Provide oversight and handling of various claims, citations, and disputes that may include customs violations, overweight citations, customer receivable disputes, capacity collection demands, vendor payable disputes, etc.
- Provide key managers of the Company technically accurate but practical guidelines as they manage the business affairs of the Company or any of its separate affiliates.
- Maintain processes and procedures to ensure the Company’s liabilities are adequately and responsibly protected.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Carry out any supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Ensure Company policies are consistent with applicable law.
- Other duties may be assigned
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to review and revise contracts of the Company and provide guidance to the applicable department of Company consistent with Company policy and goals.
- Timely and competent legal assistance in developing policies, contracts, plans and strategies governing the Company's customer, vendor and capacity relationships.
- Requires in-depth knowledge of issues of statutory, regulatory and contractual compliance.
- Short-term legal trouble shooting skills that include timely, thorough and capable reaction to each situation and request for assistance.
- Ability to develop policies, practices and strategies that are easily understood and accepted by all affected departments.
- Negotiation, conflict resolution and mediation skills.
- Handle escalated calls/issues regarding for resolution.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Juris Doctor Degree (J.D) or equivalent.
- At least 4 years related legal experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Licensed to practice as an attorney and counselor at law.
- At least 2 years of legal experience on transportation and related issues strongly preferred.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DUTIES and/or SKILLS
- Regularly provide advice and counsel to the Company through its various officers and managers to enable them to guide independent but affiliated businesses in a legally compliant manner consistent with contractual and regulatory obligations.
- Draft and implement reasonable and effective Company policies and contracts and respond to legal issues and concerns as they arise.
- Review contracts with customers, vendors, contractors, employees and capacity providers and all other legal documents to manage the Company's risk and protect its financial security.
- Ensure compliance with legal authorities and government mandates and in responding to legal issues before and as they become manifest.
- Reviews and Consults on:
- Logistics and transportation services including truckload, less-than-truckload, heavy haul/specialized, expedited, rail intermodal, air, ocean and warehousing.
- Vendor services.
- Retain, direct and oversee outside counsel performing legal work for Company.
- Investigate and resolve commercial disputes with customers, transportation capacity providers, vendors and governmental agencies.
- Special projects assigned by the Assistant General Counsel and General Counsel.
Landstar is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Landstar will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Landstar uses application information only for employment related purposes, including background investigations and regulatory compliance. Landstar will not disclose the information to any other person or entity, unless compelled by force of law. Landstar stores your application information on computers operated by Ceridian. This on-line application software is provided by Ceridian under an agreement which specifies that Ceridian will not disclose or make any use of application information stored on its secure servers.
- Pay Type Salary
- Landstar System, Inc., 13410 Sutton Park Dr S, Jacksonville, Florida, United States of America