Senior Director of Corporate Tax
Lee Enterprises is seeking a Senior Director of Corporate Tax to oversee and direct the Company’s income tax planning and compliance while managing both internal staff and external resources. The primary concentration for this position is on U.S. federal taxation, multi-state tax matters, and accounting for income taxes for SEC reporting. This is an advisory role to senior management on tax matters.
The successful candidate will have a broad tax background and will be comfortable operating in a fast-paced, dynamic and rapidly changing environment, with numerous opportunities for professional growth.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Effective planning and implementation of tax minimization strategies.
- Oversee preparation and review of quarterly and annual consolidated income tax provision reporting and related financial statement disclosures.
- Ensure efficient and accurate compliance with federal and state and local tax laws. Filings include:
- Federal consolidated return
- Multi-state returns for 35 state and local jurisdictions
- Federal and state returns for 3 partnerships
- Federal and state returns for 3 non-profit organizations
- Manage all tax audits, including income, sales and use, and property tax audits.
- Provide advisory services to Company management on tax matters.
- Effectively manage, motivate and professionally develop the tax department staff.
- Manage use of external service providers.
- Provide tax advice relating to merger and acquisition activities as they relate to:
- Tax optimization of transactions
- Due diligence on tax positions and exposures
- Tax effect of proposed divestitures
- Perform special tax projects such as research of tax law changes, analysis of the tax impact of changes and developments of business activity, preparation of tax position papers for audit defense and control purposes.
- BA/BS degree in accounting from an accredited institution required; Masters in Tax preferred.
- CPA preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in corporate tax or public accounting.
- Multi-jurisdictional tax compliance and planning for consolidated group.
- Accounting for income taxes for publicly held corporation.
- Sarbanes-Oxley requirements, especially as they relate to management of tax controls.
- Broad based research skills and ability to effectively identify, address and document resolution of high-level tax issues.
- Ability to communicate effectively with financial, legal and operational personnel at all levels throughout the Company.
Lee offers a competitive salary and benefits package as well as a challenging and rewarding work environment.
Lee Enterprises is a leading provider of local news and information, and a major platform for advertising in 77 markets in 26 states, with daily newspapers, rapidly growing digital products and nearly 350 specialty publications. For more information about Lee, check us out at www.lee.net.
- Job Family Corporate/Executive
- Pay Type Salary
- Davenport, IA, USA