SENIOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER
The Senior Systems Engineer is responsible for leading the architectural design and implementation of IT infrastructure used to support our customers and providing Tier 3 escalation support of issues and/or changes for existing infrastructure. The Senior Systems Engineer will be a key team member in the transformation of the IT infrastructure at Segra Data Centers, providing resiliency and scalability to support the growth of the business. This role requires collaboration with other engineers, managers, and stakeholders both internally and with clients in order to drive implementation towards the end state. The Engineer will assist in the creation of end to end artifacts and policies defining standards for technology deployment and configuration. In order to best serve our clients, the Senior Systems Engineer must be available to perform after hours support and maintenance activities.
Senior Systems Engineer
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide expert understanding of enterprise systems including hypervisors, servers, and storage.
- Design, implement, and support Microsoft Windows servers, group policy, DNS, and DHCP.
- Design, implement, and support Citrix XenApp environments.
- Design, implement, and support backup and point-in-time recovery technologies.
- Provide leadership in Business Continuity\Disaster Recovery planning across multiple data centers.
- Create thorough systems design documentation.
- Perform and document full regression testing for all new hardware and software releases. Develop and test procedures for introducing new technologies.
- Perform proof of concept testing for emerging technologies including new hardware and software.
- Assist in building monitoring and alerting capabilities for the infrastructure stack.
- Lead multiple systems design initiatives for existing and prospective clients by transforming business requirements into technical requirements and choosing the best technologies to fulfill their needs.
- Utilize high level of communication and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain positive and productive working relationships with team members and clients.
- Develop resolutions to complex problems that require the use of creativity and make decisions that impact projects and staff members as well as provide Tier III escalation support for systems issues and escalations.
- Support the Systems Engineers and NOC staff in troubleshooting and recreating scenarios found in the client environments.
- Develop and distribute reports, KPI’s and presentations for management.
- Provide assistance and support to other team members as required during critical outages.
- Respond to escalated issues from NOC 24x7x365 as needed.
- Provide positive mentorship for junior team members.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field, or comparable hands on experience.
- Experience: Minimum of 5 years of experience as a Systems Engineer designing and implementing infrastructure to support applications running in a highly virtualized environment.
- Experience with scripting and automation languages such as PowerShell, PowerCLI, Python and/or Bash strongly desired.
- Technical certifications are a plus. Examples: VCP (VMware Certified Professional), Microsoft MCSE, MCSA or MCITP, Cisco CCNA, CompTia A+ and/or Security+, Red Hat RHCSA or RHCE
- Key Competencies: Work with minimum supervision and collaboratively drive solutions promoting sound architecture principles, simplicity and component reuse in an objective manner to solve complex problems. In-depth, practical knowledge of virtualization technologies, enterprise grade server and storage, network protocols, Operating Systems, equipment lifecycle management, provisioning and support methods for customer services, risk mitigation and trouble resolution methods.
- Technology stack: VMware vSphere, Microsoft Windows Server 2012/2016/2019, Cisco UCS blade servers, NetApp storage, Commvault, Zerto, VEEAM, Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop
Schedule: Monday - Friday with on call rotation
Location: Charlotte, NC Data Center (position is a combination of onsite and remote)
Segra offers a robust benefits package to our full-time employees, which may include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401K, Tuition Reimbursement, Gym Reimbursement, Vacation/PTO, Holidays, Personal Days, and more! Please visit our company website at Segra.com.
- Job Family 50
- Pay Type Salary
- Charlotte, NC, USA