MRIGlobal, an independent research and development organization, delivers solutions in global health, national security and defense, and energy and the environment. The organization perform scientific research, advanced engineering, and program integration and management for clients in industry, government, and academia. Established in 1944 as Midwest Research Institute, MRIGlobal is based in Kansas City, Mo., and operates in nine states and Washington, D.C.
Staff Scientist - Bioinformatics
We currently have an opening for a Staff Scientist in Bioinformatics, available immediately in Gaithersburg, Maryland. The successful candidate will join a team of researchers actively conducting genomics-based research in infectious disease diagnostics, microbiology, virology, and microbial forensics for a variety of government and industrial clients.
The candidate will have a background in bioinformatics, excellent Python knowledge, experience applying that knowledge to genomics, and also familiarity with machine learning methods. Candidates will be expected to develop technically-sound solutions for applied biology problems, and provide ongoing support to operational programs at MRIGlobal.
The candidate will combine research in biology, gene ontology, virology, metagenomics, and microbial forensics with information technology in order to manage, analyze, and visualize biological data by • using approved bioinformatics tools and processes • developing and maintaining databases or repositories for sequencing data • writing reports to summarize methods and results • demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team by communicating clearly and delivering timely results.
- B.S. or B.A. in Bioinformatics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, or related discipline plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant work experience in bioinformatics analysis, or M.S. with 3 years relevant work including an emphasis on bioinformatics
- The candidate should have experience managing diverse genomic data types and sources; experience extracting, manipulating, and processing large sequence datasets.
- Experience with feature selection, Natural Language Processing model building and optimization using supervised and unsupervised machine learning techniques
- Familiarity with HPC clusters and cloud computing
- Knowledge of multi-omics data integration and interpretation
- Familiarity working in a Linux/Unix command-line environment
- Able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with technical staff at all levels in a team-based environment
Applicants selected are required to possess or be able to obtain and maintain an active security clearance. In order to meet the government security investigation requirements, U.S. citizenship is a prerequisite.
- Job Family Active
- Job Function 08-Scientists
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- MRIGlobal, 65 West Watkins Mill Road, Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States of America