Development Codes Inspector - EDS - Engineering & Environmental
This position shall be responsible for the enforcement of the Town Land Development Regulations and Zoning Codes specifically as it relates to single family lot development and tree preservation. Primary function shall be to ensure compliance with applicable zoning standards such as setbacks and dimensional requirements as defined in the designated zoning for each residential property, safeguard surrounding residents from unmanaged runoff resulting from lot grading, negligent stormwater management planning and infrastructure inundation, and regulate the removal of significant and protected trees as it specifically relates to new residential development. Must be able to work with homebuilders and civil engineers to ensure compliance with approved plans. Assist the Building Official and Town Engineer with stormwater plan reviews and administration of the Single-Family Stormwater and Tree Preservation Program. Must be familiar with land planning and designing stormwater improvement projects. Performs work in support of flood prevention, property protection and water quality controls.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs specialized field and administrative duties to ensure compliance of construction and development projects to the Town Zoning and Land Development Regulations, including tree mitigation and protection.
- Investigates clearing and grading, tree removal and buffer violations as it relates to residential development. Administer enforcement procedures where such violations exist; follow up on violations until the resolution has been rendered.
- Attends court hearings and testifies concerning violations of the associated codes; represents the Town’s position in Municipal Court; issues summons as required.
- Conducts on-site inspections on construction projects for code compliance including new and existing residential stormwater infrastructure components, possibly requiring daily inspections.
- Performs and coordinates inspections on new development projects and provide developers with punch list items to complete before release of a building permit.
- Performs routine and non-routine inspections to protect existing public and private stormwater system.
- Reviews and approves or denies permits for work within Town jurisdiction; coordinates with other entities and departments as needed.
- Performs inspections in support of the Town’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program, as needed.
- Communicates with the public, contractors, subcontractors and stormwater system owners regarding specifications, maintenance, and compliance needs.
- Responds to citizen inquiries and take action to achieve resolution through creative and coordinated problem-solving.
- Assists the Engineering Division with special inspections and land surveying in support of Town projects.
- Conducts or coordinates enforcement actions as necessary to maintain compliance.
- Conducts and participates in the development and delivery of stormwater education programs.
- Consults and coordinates with other departments, construction professionals, the public, and local, state and federal agencies on various projects, programs and stormwater standards and specifications.
- Maintains design plans, inspection records log books, inspection schedules etc., in an organized file system.
- Prepares detailed and accurate project reports and regular department or special reports as required; observes conditions and issues notices of correction and related violations.
- Completes all logs and paperwork necessary to perform above duties.
- Performs other related assigned duties.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
- Bachelor’s degree in a construction related field with three (3) years of work experience;
- Preferred experience in site drainage installations.
- Preferred experience in landscape design and/or installation.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Valid South Carolina Driver’s License
- SC Erosion Protection Sediment Control Inspector Certification within one year of employment;
- Post Construction BMP Inspector Course within one year of employment.
- Arborist Certification ISA preferred.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $20.44
- South Carolina, USA