Senior Communities & Engagement Editor
The Philadelphia Inquirer is seeking a senior editor to create and lead a new reporting and community engagement team. We are looking for a journalist with a strong reporting and editing background. Equally important is a robust track record of community engagement and a deep commitment to embedding community engagement into every stage of your team’s work.This Senior Editor will lead a team of 6-9 reporters, editors and community engagement specialists, with a central mission of increasing the representation and visibility of undercovered, underserved, and misrepresented greater Philadelphia communities in The Inquirer.
As Senior Editor, you’ll manage coverage and edit your team’s work. You’ll also model the direct community engagement you expect from your team, and use that engagement to guide your team’s editorial direction. You and your team will also work closely with the broader newsroom, lending perspective and expertise to ongoing coverage, creating more community-centric initiatives across desks. This is an opportunity to build a team from the ground up. You’ll play the leading role in defining the team’s focus and its approach to building meaningful relationships with the community. You’ll also have the opportunity to hire several journalists for this new team.
What You’ll Do
- Help define the focus, coverage strategy and members of the communities team.
- Work with other senior newsroom leaders to develop and manage The Inquirer’s community engagement strategy.
- Through collaboration and joint projects with other teams, foster community-centered journalism throughout the broader newsroom.
- Direct daily, enterprise and project coverage for a team of 6-9 reporters and editors.
- Work with other Inquirer divisions to create story forms and products optimized for the audiences this team will prioritize.
- Develop lasting and meaningful relationships with community members and organizations.
Who We’re Looking For
- A deep commitment to community engagement, and a track record demonstrating that commitment.
- A candidate with a clear and compelling vision for community-centered journalism, and a strong sense of the tactics needed to develop community engagement at The Inquirer.
- A journalist who knows Philadelphia and its people, and has deep and meaningful connections with underserved communities.
- Editing and leadership experience. We’re seeking a candidate who knows how to improve a story, guide reporters and build and manage a team.
- A collaborative leader who will champion the value of community-centered journalism across the newsroom, and work effectively with newsroom leaders on all desks.
Other Things To Know
We know not everyone reading this will fit exactly what we’ve described. We encourage everyone to apply who shares our passion for indispensable journalism and our drive to create a sustainable business model to support it. As an equal opportunity employer, The Inquirer is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture, and we especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to submit an application, including women, people of color, veterans, LGBTQ+ people, and individuals with disabilities.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Pay Type Salary
- Philadelphia, PA, USA