We are not utilizing agencies to fill this position.
Direct Reports: Yes
Supervised By: Chief Human Resources Officer and Assigned Attorneys
The Office Administrator/Legal Assistant (Administrator) is responsible for the daily administrative and operational functions of the Greenville and Spartanburg, SC office locations as well as the management of professional staff. The Administrator will also provide administrative support to approximately four or more attorneys.
The Administrator will handle all general office services including reception, conference room scheduling, business development support, visitor relations, budget management, and facilities management. The Administrator will interact with external clients as well as attorneys and professional staff.
The Administrator will work a regular schedule as determined by HR and/or the assigned attorneys. The typical schedule will consist of 7.5 hours per day equating to 37.5 hours per week. Additional hours (including overtime) will be required on occasion.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Assists with the day-to-day office administration. Supervises the Legal Professional Assistants (LPA), Paralegals, and Receptionists. Leads, manages, and directs the staff with clear performance expectations, measures for accountability, and professional development opportunities. Supervisory duties include selection and hiring of staff; performance and salary reviews; promotions/transfers; training, coaching and counseling. Evaluates and develops the professional growth of staff.
• Works collaboratively with other Administrative departments (Business Development, Finance/Accounting, IT, Facilities, etc.) to ensure the office is managed according to firm standards and expectations. Works with the Office Administrators on implementing best practices.
• Demonstrates and promotes the firm values. Helps advance employee engagement. May organize team building activities such as special day celebrations, lunches, and other employee engagement activities. Plans and implements office events like Staff Appreciation Week, holiday events, Lunch and Learns, and other events that benefit our employees.
• Ensures appropriate administrative support during time away from the office. Assists in the training of new LPAs.
• Oversees the scheduling of conference rooms and visiting attorney offices, including catering requests for client and administrative meetings. Coordinates conference room set-ups.
• Coordinates office assignments for staff and attorneys.
• Oversees courier and mail services as well as office supply purchasing.
• Coordinates parking assignments with garage. Troubleshoots any parking issues.
• Manages and creates security badges for employees. Coordinates safety training and implements security protocols.
• Oversees office space planning, ongoing maintenance, and renovations. Coordinates furniture procurement. Coordinates with building management regarding maintenance: lighting, cleaning, HVAC, etc.
• Oversees record keeping and off-site storage.
• Ensures compliance with all company policies and procedures as well as applicable laws and regulations. Continually implements process improvement to increase efficiency and innovation. Works with the other Office Administrators on implementing best practices.
• Manages the office budget in a fiscally responsible manner. Manages vendors relationships and contracts.
• Identifies and implements improvements to processes and functions. Serves as internal counselor for management to enhances business performance.
• Develops and enhances relationships with attorneys and staff throughout the Firm to ensure the office is properly meeting Firm objectives, and to forestall problems and enhance services to the Firm.
• Adheres to all Firm policies, procedures, standards and guidelines. Maintains confidentiality.
• Other duties and special projects as assigned by the CHRO.
Legal Professional Assistant
• Prepares legal documents, pleadings, contracts and correspondence from draft or dictated text.
• Manages attorneys’ calendars and assists in meeting deadlines.
• Manages docket court filing deadlines and scheduling orders.
• Maintains attorneys’ time entry for billing purposes.
• Coordinates attorneys’ and/or clients’ travel arrangements including scheduling flights, ground transportation, overnight accommodations, preparing directions, and confirming travel schedules.
• Performs clerical duties such as scheduling appointments, transcribing dictation, composing and typing routine correspondence, scanning and converting various documents, and reading and routing incoming mail
• Answers a multi-line telephone system, determines the purpose of calls, and transfers callers to appropriate personnel.
• Greets and assists visitors in a professional and courteous manner.
• Assists in the review and issuance of client invoices.
• Files correspondence and legal documents in office electronic and paper filing system.
• Maintains and organizes new and existing client files.
• Ensures proper indexing and filing of original legal documents.
• Manages and organizes attorneys’ contacts in database. Supports business development activities as needed.
• Ensures proper indexing and filing of original legal documents. Prepares closed case files for off-site storage.
• Initiates and supports innovation, efficiency, and process improvement.
• Adheres to all firm policies, procedures, standards and guidelines. Maintains confidentiality.
• Other duties as assigned by HR and/or assigned attorneys.
• Bachelors’ Degree in business management, human resources, accounting/finance, or a relevant field.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in office management, preferably in a law firm setting.
• Prior experience managing professional staff; HR certification strongly preferred.
• Operate office equipment such as copy/scanning machine and postage meter.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite as well as Facilities and HR system applications.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills. Develops and maintains effective working relationships with employees, attorneys, clients, and vendors.
• Excellent time management skills. Must effectively prioritize work/projects and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment. Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities and accommodate last-minute requests.
• Highly self-motivated and self-directed. Works independently with minimal supervision. Anticipates and overcomes major obstacles, solves problems, and recognizes when issues should be escalated. Demonstrates independent judgment. Exhibits initiative and innovative thinking and drives best practices. Demonstrates attention to detail, accuracy, and confidentiality.
• Must be a team player, willing to support other firm members and non-direct report attorneys during staff shortages.
• Proficiency in federal Electronic Filing depending on the practice of the assigned attorneys.
• Experience using a legal time and billing system.
• Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends, as needed.