Tax and Estate Paralegal
Become part of the Parker Poe team that – for more than a century – has represented many of the Southeast’s largest companies and local governments.
We are a tight-knit firm that values the person beyond the lawyer or professional. Because of this, in addition to structured integration efforts, you will find that mentorship, professional development, and internal referrals happen organically. If you want to join a collaborative team providing sophisticated legal services – without losing sight of our calling to give back to our communities – this is the place to be.
We are not utilizing agencies to fill this position.
The Tax and Estate Paralegal will work in our Charlotte office supporting our Tax team. The Paralegal will interact with external clients as well as internal support staff. This is a nonexempt administrative position that reports to the Office Administrator and assigned attorneys. There are no direct reports to this position. The Paralegal will work a regular schedule as determined by the Office Administrator/HR and/or the assigned attorneys. The typical schedule will consist of 7.5 hours per day equating to 37.5 hours per week. Additional hours (including overtime) will be required on occasion.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Preparation of estate planning documents
• Assist with all aspects of estate administration
• Preparation of probate documents and miscellaneous court documents relating to probate court administration of estates and trusts
• Correspondence with clients to obtain information required for probate and estate administration; correspondence with banks, businesses, insurance companies, brokerage firms, and others to collect asset information
• Preparation and transmittal of all necessary papers to transfer securities
• Preparation and filing of claims for insurance proceeds and death benefits
• Preparation and allowance of accounts in the probate court; preparation of trust accountings
• Opening and closing estate accounts
• Preparation of federal estate tax returns, a plus
• At least 5 years of tax and/or estate planning and estate administration experience
• Paralegal certificate and/or college degree
• Exceedingly well organized and detail oriented
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment as necessary
• Critical thinking and proficiency in problem solving and decision making skills
• Excellent time management skills; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities, and accommodate rush requests
• Team player, willing to help other firm members during peak times
• Superior computer skills, using Microsoft Office Suite
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills
• Motivated, self-directed individual with ability to anticipate and resolve issues and work with little supervision
- Parker Poe, 620 South Tryon Street, Charlotte, North Carolina, United States of America