Youth Activities Youth Activities Coordinator I
Close: July 5, 2021 @ 8:59 p.m. PST
Department: Youth Center
Reports To: Director
Hours: 40 Hrs/Wk – Full Time
Salary: DOQ + Benefits*
Under the general supervision of the Administrative Manager, this position plans and arranges social, cultural and recreational activities of various youth groups according to Tribal policy and regulations by performing the following duties.
Level I: This classification performs routine work with some latitude for independent judgment. The position provides assistance in coordinating youth recreational activities for the department.
Level II: This classification acts as a lead and has responsibilities that involve some creative thinking and development of processes and procedures. The position acts as a resource to Level I positions.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities:
Level I and II:
- Meets with Youth Committee and other groups to establish recreational programs including short and long-range program goals and objectives.
- Establishes, plans, organizes, schedules and directs comprehensive recreation programs and activities with input from the Youth Committee.
- Promotes youth participation in social, cultural and recreational activities.
- Conducts orientation program for youth regarding available program services and activities.
- Prepares and publishes youth activities calendar.
- Evaluates program and suggest modifications.
- Develops and maintains relationships with other recreational providers in community.
- Establishes and maintains contact with service and equipment vendors, including purchase of needed equipment and services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Assists the Director in developing, monitoring and coordinating schedules for volunteers working with the program.
- Studies and analyzes recreational needs and resources.
- Assists the Director in budget preparation as requested.
- Works with the Director and the Risk Manager to ensure proper insurance coverage is in place to reduce the Tribe’s liability exposure with regard to events and activities.
Level I: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Level II: This position acts as a Lead and is a resource to the Level I position.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
Level I: High School Diploma/GED and one-year experience in planning, organizing and developing youth recreation activities; or satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience with a minimum high school diploma and additional experience. Position requires clerical skills including typing and personal computer skills using word processing, spreadsheets (i.e., Word for Windows, Excel, Access, etc.).
Level II: Associates Degree and four-years experience in planning, organizing and developing youth recreational activities and events of a more complex nature; or satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience with a minimum of a high school diploma and additional experience. Intermediate computer skills in Word and Excel are required.
Employee must demonstrate the ability to interact tactfully and positively with Tribal members, all levels of staff and management. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Ability to read, analyze and interpret common professional journals. Ability to respond to common inquiries from community members.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to communicate effectively in oral or written format.
Ability to solve practical problems.
Ability to physically perform essential job tasks.
Licenses or Certificates
Must have and maintain a valid and unrestricted Washington State driver’s license and proof of insurance is required. Driver’s license must not contain any restrictions that would otherwise prevent an employee from driving a GSA vehicle.
Must pass a criminal background check prior to and periodically throughout employment; must not have any felony convictions.
Must be willing to attend and participate in appropriate educational training program(s) to enhance skill, knowledge and abilities.
Requires the ability to operate a typewriter, personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier.
Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
The employee occasionally is required to stand and walk.
The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level is moderate.
The physical exertion is low to moderate.
Work is generally performed in an office setting.
There are frequent employee and client contacts and interruptions during the day.
Requires occasional travel using employee’s own transportation.
Employee may be exposed to outside weather conditions.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA