Content Producer Level I and II
Closes: July 22, 2021 @ 8:59 p.m. PST
(May specialize in Digital or Multimedia Content)
Reports To: Digital Media Manager or Content Manager
Hours: 40 Hours/Week – Full Time
Salary: DOQ + Benefits*
This position is responsible for creating digital or multimedia content for the Communications Department. This position works as a team member in support of the Puyallup Tribe of Indians.
Level I is expected to handle moderately complex work assignments and disseminates content. Sound judgment and the ability to establish priorities to determine the best methods to accomplish work is expected. Application of general office fundamentals including operating office equipment, basic math and the ability to follow written and oral instructions is expected.
Level II acts as a Team Lead position and deals with highly complex content projects and is expected to act as a resource to others; work assignments involve creative thinking and the ability to make non-routine decisions. Interruptions and changing priorities are regular occurrences and tight deadlines create job challenges.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with digital media as needed, including posting to Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc., in coordination with digital media manager
- Create a variety of multimedia content for use with the website, Tribal Newspaper, press releases, etc. This may include including digital graphics, written articles, photos, photo essays, and short-form videos.
- Develop story, photo and/or video ideas and contribute to the Communications Department’s editorial calendar of topics to cover.
- Research and respond to internal and external requests for information, answer questions and either route or resolve issues and concerns.
- Proofread written material.
- Enter event information into calendars both owned by and external to the Tribe.
- Assist with media relations for the Tribe, under the direction of the communications director or other staff.
- Contribute to crisis communications response as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Level II – all of Level I duties and the following:
10. Plans and implements complex content projects, such as multi-day, multimedia series. Example for illustration purposes only: Under supervision of content manager, researches and serves as lead writer for a three-part Puyallup Tribal News series, including outlining main stories and identifying worthwhile supplemental videos, sidebars and photo essays that other staff or contractors can produce, and, under content manager’s supervision, negotiating areas of responsibility within the content project.
11. Acts as team lead for public relations and other content projects that involve multiple employees, contract contributors and/or departments. Examples for illustration purposes only: Under supervision of content manager, leading Firecracker Alley public relations and promotions, including outlining work plan, coordinating vendors and billing through communications coordinators, and serving as lead writer but also working with contractors to produce supplemental content.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and Experience
HS Diploma/GED required. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in Marketing, Communications or Journalism or a related field preferred. Candidates should be able to demonstrate understanding of effective social media use and other digital best practices. Candidate should be able to demonstrate digital photo editing experience. Candidates should understand relevant tools for website and other digital media management and be able to write effective content specifically for website and social media. Audio/visual experience such as with streaming live on-location events a plus. Candidates should be able to demonstrate a combination of writing, photography and short-form video (for social media, for example) skills with strength in at least one area and a basic understanding of the other two.
All of the Level I requirements and two years of content production experience. Candidates may be hired as level II if they are able to demonstrate that they meet the level II requirements. Employees hired as a level I may move to a level II after two years of experience in the position and must demonstrate the ability to perform level II duties.
Level I and II:
Intermediate to extensive knowledge of word processing is required. Ability to use digital content tools such as cameras and social media platforms. Strong interest in web-based communications and knowledge of web editing skills preferred. Working knowledge of Associated Press style preferred.
Must have experience in maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
Must be able to work long hours and carry and unpredictable schedule.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to follow oral instructions and write news and feature stories using correct English, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ration and percentages.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Must have and maintain a valid and unrestricted Washington State driver’s license and proof of insurance. Driver’s License restrictions must not prevent the employee from complying with the Tribe’s Vehicle Use Policy or driving a GSA vehicle.
Must have reliable transportation.
Must demonstrate strong communication skills, both written and oral.
Must demonstrate an eye for detail.
Must be able to multi-task and set priorities.
This position may be required to telework on either a part time or full time basis depending upon the needs of the department and the organization. If required to telework, employee agrees to complete the Telework Agreement and abide by the Telework Policy and work expectations.
- Requires the ability to operate a personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand and walk.
- The employee is frequently required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- The noise level is moderate.
- The physical exertion is low to moderate.
- The employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Exposure to hazardous materials in minimal.
- Requires travel using employee’s own transportation.
- May be required to work nights, weekends or holidays.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA