Closes: July 22, 2021 @ 8:59 p.m. PST
Reports To: Director
- Cover letter that addresses your experience with the position's duties.
- Sample of work: 3 - 5 published writing samples and one (1) description, outline, or case study of a communications plan you developed and implemented.
Under the general direction of the Director, this position plans, organizes and implements Tribal communications and public relations in the Communications Department. This includes media contacts, public relations and/or community involvement, as well as the design and development of information for the website, social media, and other communications materials for both internal and external audiences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage assigned communications projects, including developing communications strategies and schedules for implementation and evaluation. Prepare information, facilitate meetings and give presentations to appropriate audience as needed. Assist with identifying needed plans and strategies.
- Research, create written content, and coordinate and contribute to the production of public and employee communications products including the preparation of: news releases, social media and other digital messaging, newsletters, brochures, television stories, talking point development, exhibits and white papers.
- Support Tribal communications through the identification of communications opportunities and developing handouts, preparing/delivering presentations and developing communications/marketing collateral.
- Perform research activities through the exchange of company news media, trade journals, local and national releases for material and ideas to improve the Tribe's internal and external communications.
- Respond to inquiries from community members and the news media; research and provide information concerning Tribal operations.
- Identify and analyze issues of concern and emerging trends to supervisor; provide strategic communication objectives, techniques and plans.
- Provide back-up for communications staff as needed.
- Distribute press releases, Tribal Announcements, Tribal News, and similar publications; coordinate surveys; support Membership meetings and other outreach events.
- Contribute to special projects such as by coordinating and staffing outreach events, coordinating special mailings, coordinating and tracking award applications and nominations, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in Communications, Public Relations or Journalism or a related field and a minimum of three years of communications work experience is required. Strong newswriting or public relations writing skills are required. Work experience in government, nonprofit or related public relations strongly preferred.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate strong writing skills, the ability to plan communications and exhibit strong interpersonal skills. Photography, social media and other digital skills are a plus.
Intermediate to extensive knowledge of word processing is required. Must demonstrate satisfactory experience performing writing at a professional level. Working knowledge of Associated Press style is preferred.
Experience in Native American customs and traditions is required, as well as a sensitivity and appreciation for Elders, youth and other members of this and neighboring Tribes. Experience with Tribal government strongly preferred.
Must have experience in maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information. Must stay up to date on current events and legal topics relevant to the Tribe and to communications.
Must be able to work long hours and carry an unpredictable schedule.
Must be able to ask difficult questions, often in an emotionally charged situation.
Must be able to recognize and respect communications protocols.
Must demonstrate a strong ethical belief system and desire to tell the truth while remaining unbiased.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to follow oral instructions and write news and feature stories using correct English, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percentages.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Must have and maintain a valid and unrestricted Washington State driver’s license and proof of insurance. Driver’s License restrictions must not prevent the employee from complying with the Tribe’s Vehicle Use Policy or driving a GSA vehicle.
Must be a strong, dependable, trustworthy team member able to work for and with team members and across departments.
Must have reliable transportation.
This position must be able to work with all levels of personnel within the organization and with clients and vendors.
Must be able to work within a tight deadline and fact-check information quickly and accurately.
Must demonstrate ability to delve into a story to search for facts.
Must demonstrate strong communication skills, both written and oral.
Must demonstrate an eye for detail.
Must be able to multi-task and set priorities.
This position may be required to telework on either a part time or full time basis depending upon the needs of the department and the organization. If required to telework, employee agrees to complete the Telework Agreement and abide by the Telework Policy and work expectations.
- Requires the ability to operate a personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand and walk.
- The employee is frequently required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- This position may be required to telework on either a part time or full time basis depending upon the needs of the department and the organization. If required to telework, employee agrees to complete the Telework Agreement and abide by the Telework Policy and work expectations.
- The noise level is moderate.
- The physical exertion is low to moderate.
- The employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Exposure to hazardous materials in minimal.
- Requires travel using employee’s own transportation.
- Requires work on- and off-site.
- May be required to work nights, weekends or holidays.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA