Tribal Court Administrative Assistant
Closes: July 27, 2021 @ 8:59 p.m. PST
Department: Tribal Court
Reports To: Court Administrator
Hours: 40 Hours/Week – Full Time
Salary: DOQ + Benefits*
This position provides administrative services directly to the Court Administrator and the Chief Judge including advanced administrative support work of a highly complex nature. Position duties include working with confidential and highly sensitive information.
This position assists the Court Administrator and the Chief Judge with the daily operation of the Tribal Court to include:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with the preparation and monitoring of the Tribal Court and Tribal Court of Appeals budget including various funding sources.
- Oversees the accounting of money collected or paid to the court for fines, fees, costs, restitution, bail and judgments, and deposits the same with appropriate office(s).
- Supervises records management and file storage, both paper and electronic.
- Timely receives and sorts the mail.
- Performs all clerical duties as required by Court Administrator, such as typing and drafting correspondence.
- Operates standard office machinery such as phones, computers, copiers, fax machines, calculators, etc. May be asked to maintain the paper supply in the copier, change toner and place calls for service if needed.
- Prepares a variety of letters/correspondence, reports, memoranda, forms and other related information as needed.
- May work with a variety of highly confidential information and, as a result, handles the information professionally and maintains confidentiality at all times.
- Takes primary responsibility within the department to prepare requests for purchase order, office supplies, equipment and other expenditure requests.
- Takes primary responsibility for facility maintenance and security including repair and maintenance of equipment and furniture.
- Oversees and coordinates training and travel for judges and staff.
- Assists the Court Administrator with requests to the IT Department concerning the telephone service, internet connectivity, technology systems, etc.
- Distributes outgoing mail from the department.
- Must be able to run errands – i.e. make copies, pick up and deliver mail in the Tribal Administration Building.
- Executes the directives of the Court Administrator and/or Chief Judge; disseminates information or directives to departmental staff.
- Distributes action items to appropriate staff members and follows-up to assure task completion.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory duties.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
High School Diploma/GED and two years of related experience and/or training; or satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience. Intermediate experience and knowledge using word processing and spreadsheets (i.e. Word for Windows, Excel, Access, etc.)
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations:
Must have and maintain a valid and unrestricted driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills to work with the public.
- Must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
- This position may be required to telework on either a part time or full time basis depending upon the needs of the department and the organization. If required to telework, employee agrees to complete the Telework Agreement and abide by the Telework Policy and work expectations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- There are frequent employee contacts and interruptions during the day.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA