Tribal Court Court Clerk
Close: August 3, 2021 @ 8:59 p.m. PST
Department: Tribal Court
Reports To: Court Administrator and Chief Judge
Hours: 40 Hrs/Wk – Full Time
Salary: DOQ + Benefits*
Provides clerical support and records management for operation of the Tribal Court, and support services for the Chief Clerk, Court Administrator, and Chief Judge.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains court records, files and other records.
- Transcribes court proceedings.
- Oversees issuance of summons, subpoenas, orders, and other necessary documents. Receives court filings, fines, fees, and other materials.
- Works with attorneys, law enforcement, social services, and other agencies.
- Maintains filings and other court matters for the Court of Appeals.
- Maintains confidentiality in the completion of work.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
High School Diploma or GED required; and two years related experience and/or training; or satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience. Prefer at least two years experience in the areas of legal procedure for civil traffic, child welfare, juvenile, criminal and child support policies and procedures, or must demonstrate an ability to learn Court processes quickly to produce accurate work. Intermediate experience and knowledge using word processing and spreadsheets is required (i.e. Word for Windows, Excel, Access, etc.)
Note: Part-time work is prorated in crediting experience (e.g., if you work 20 hours per week for a 12-month period, you will be credited with six months of experience).
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations:
Business school, paralegal, or law enforcement certificate preferred.
Must have and maintain a valid and unrestricted driver’s license and proof of auto insurance or be eligible to drive a Tribal vehicle.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to explain Tribal Court filing procedures.
- Must be able to operate court recording device.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills to work with the public.
Must be able to acceptably pass a background check prior to and periodically throughout employment.
This position may be required to telework on either a part time or full time basis depending upon the needs of the department and the organization. If required to telework, employee agrees to complete the Telework Agreement and abide by the Telework Policy and work expectations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 pounds frequently.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA