Closes: When Filled
Department: Elders Wellness Center
Reports To: Facilities Manager
Hours: Full Time – 40 Hours/Week
Salary: DOQ + Benefits*
Under the direction of the Facility Manager, responsible for providing general maintenance and operations duties for the Elders buildings. Responsible for repairs/improvements of buildings and general equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs inspections of the building and surrounding grounds to ensure proper maintenance and safety for Elders, staff, and visitors. Makes recommendations to the facility manager of needed improvements.
- Performs repair and maintenance, including construction, to maintain the building (such as: roof, walls, doors, glass, interiors, floors, and weatherization).
- Maintain aquatic facility mechanical: repair/rebuild circulation pumps, steam room boiler, pool and spa gas fired water heaters.
- Interior and exterior painting.
- Make minor repairs on mobility equipment: hospital beds, wheel chairs, walkers, and person lift/hoist.
- Maintain lawn equipment: keep mower blades sharp, light mechanical, understand the difference between 2 and 4 cycle engines and how that changes the operation and maintenance of particular machines.
- Maintains and repairs Irrigation, sprinkler heads, PVC pipes, and valve replacements.
- Makes minor repairs, such as replacing light ballasts, leaking faucets, and non-flushing toilets
- Provides back-up support to Building Custodians as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and five years of related experience or training, OR a satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience on a year-for-year basis as long as technical work experience in hands-on building maintenance and operations is demonstrated.
Intermediate computer skills with word processing, spreadsheets, database and internet research is required to be able to prepare reports and keep logs and maintenance records.
- Sensitivity to working in a culturally diverse environment.
- A strong working knowledge of codes, standards, OSHA, etc. required to operate a public facility.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of building mechanical, electrical, and plumbing.
- Knows how to read building plans (blueprints), understands electrical schematics.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedural manuals and grant applications. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence clearly and informatively.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's and to calculate percentages. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to understand and mitigate risk independently and exercise good judgment in difficult situations. Ability to define operating risks and developing mitigation plans of action written into Emergency Operating Procedures.
Licenses or Certificate
Must have and maintain a valid Washington State driver’s license to pick up supplies or occasionally to assist with the delivery of elder’s lunches and transport of elders.
May be on-call when Facility Manager is unavailable.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
- The employee must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel; and talk or hear.
- The noise level is usually loud.
- The physical exertion is moderate.
- May be exposed to chemicals.
- There are frequent employee contacts and interruptions during the day.
- Work is performed indoors and outdoors during all weather conditions.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA