Close: September 21, 2021 @ 8:59 p.m. PST
Department: Set Aside Program
Position Summary: Responsible for performing moderate level general office support to the department assigned. This position is expected to apply fundamental concepts, including intermediate math, reading and the ability to follow verbal or written instructions; understand that workflow may include occasional interruptions and/or conflicting priorities. Deadlines may be daily, weekly or monthly and are generally directed by the supervisor. This position requires availability to work between the hours of 8 AM and 5 PM Monday through Friday.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides excellent customer service by promptly greeting visitors and directing them to the appropriate person within the department.
- Promptly and professionally answers phones using proper phone etiquette and directs calls to appropriate staff.
- Timely receives and sorts the mail.
- Performs all clerical duties as required by departmental staff, such as typing and drafting correspondence.
- Takes care to accurately and timely perform filing duties for the department both alphabetically and numerically.
- Operates standard office machinery such as phones, computers, copiers, fax machines, calculators, etc. May be asked to maintain the paper supply in the copier, change toner and place calls for service if needed.
- Prepares a variety of letters/correspondence, reports, memoranda, forms and other related information as needed.
- May work with a variety of highly confidential information and, as a result, handles the information professionally and maintains confidentiality at all times.
- May be required to take meeting minutes and type them up after the meeting.
- Distributes outgoing mail from the department.
- Must be able to run errands – i.e. make copies, pick up and deliver mail in the Tribal Administration Building.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
Minimum High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required; and one year of general office experience; or satisfactory equivalent of education and experience. Intermediate computer skills in Excel, Word, Access, Power Point, Outlook, etc.
Note: Part-time work is prorated in crediting experience (e.g., if you work 20 hours per week for a 12-month period you will be credited with 6 months of experience).
Must demonstrate knowledge of:
s General office practices and procedures.
s Ability to clearly communicate with the public.
s Business English, grammar and punctuation.
s Computers and related office equipment.
s Must have and maintain a valid and unrestricted driver’s license in order to run errands.
s Must maintain regular and predictable attendance during regularly scheduled work hours.
s Must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
s Must be flexible and be able to work in any department at any time.
s Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work
s Must maintain a courteous attitude toward the public and employees in person and on the phone.
s Must be able to acceptably pass a background check prior to and periodically throughout
s Must be available to work Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to accommodate Tribal Administration business hours.
Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from employees working with the department, Tribal members, and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Requires the ability to operate a typewriter, personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee occasionally is required to stand and walk.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10-25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level is moderate.
- The physical exertion is low to moderate.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- There may frequent contacts and interruptions during the day.
- The work may involve confidential information.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA