Cook - Part Time - San Diego Zoo Safari Park
Are you inspired to be a part of an organization committed to protecting wildlife around the globe? San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a mission-based, non-profit wildlife conservation organization with two world famous front doors where we unite our passion for wildlife, expertise in wildlife care, and conservation science to save species from the brink of extinction.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Cook will support San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance's mission of saving species worldwide by cooking a variety of food items to be served in our various retail food service operations. This position will report to the Chef.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Serves orders for food and beverages
- Prepares and cooks menu items and other dishes
- Follows food orders
- Portions, arranges, and garnishes food
- May coordinate and supervise other food service employees
- May serve food at food stands and perform cashier duties
- Engages in the SDZWA’s mission and vision
- Adheres to all SDZWA and department policies and practices
- Model for punctuality and professionalism
- Exemplifies the highest standard of work ethics
- Performs consistently above Society performance standards
- Practices the GRRREAT Customer Service Standards
- Prepares and cooks menu items, including main dishes, side dishes, sandwiches, hamburgers, and steaks
- Assists in cleaning and storing kitchen utensils, equipment and supplies
- Assists in coordinating and supervising the work of a kitchen or food stand
- Weighs, measures, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as required
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Culinary school and/or experience working in a full service restaurant; techniques, knowledge of equipment, basic food handling, preparation, and cooking skills. Accredited culinary school and previous experience working in a high-volume banquet kitchen preferred. Candidates with commitment and top notch interpersonal skills to provide great customer service. Problem solving skills to identify practical solutions. Teamwork skills and the ability to work well with others and be a productive member of the team. Organizational skills to stay on top of the multitude of multitasking duties without difficulty. Must be at least 18 years of age. This position requires working 5 days per week including weekdays and weekends, holidays, and evening shifts.
- Cooking experience in a high volume and fast paced banquet operation
- Full service restaurant experience is a plus
- Minimum of two years of experience as a relief cook
- Previous training in a full service restaurant that generates over $1 million in annual sales is considered a plus
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge of appropriate temperature for cooking and holding food
- Ability to follow recipes accurately
- Understanding portion control and minimizing waste
- Knowledge of preparing stocks, soups, and sauces without referring to a recipes a must
- Proper preparation and cooking methods for a wide variety of food items
- Working with commercial kitchen equipment and utensils
- Sanitation and safety methods for food preparation/handling
- Basic inventory controls
- Effective leadership skills
- Communicate effectively (verbal and written)
- Learn data and sample gathering techniques
- Work effectively with others in a diverse environment
- Cook and bake food in large quantities
- Operate commercial equipment and utensils
- Understand recipes and menus
- Evaluate and determine food condition, doneness, and decorations
- Understand and carry out instructions
- Keep simple records
- Supervise and train kitchen helper
- Location: San Diego Zoo Safari Park – Retail Operations
- Duration: Year Round
- Positions available: 1
- Union Position: Starting hourly wage $15.81
- *If selected, there are union fees and dues to be paid to the Union
- Candidates must be available for an interview if contacted. Full job description may be requested at that time.
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER - San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application please email your request to email@example.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Join our team and build a career protecting wildlife around the globe with your passion for wildlife!
- Job Function 9.15
- Pay Type Hourly
- 15500 San Pasqual Valley Rd, Escondido, CA 92027, USA