Kitchen Helper - Part Time - San Diego Zoo Safari Park
Are you inspired to be a part of an organization committed to protecting wildlife around the globe? San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a mission-based, non-profit wildlife conservation organization with two world famous front doors where we unite our passion for wildlife, expertise in wildlife care, and conservation science to save species from the brink of extinction.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Kitchen Helper supports San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance's mission and vision of saving species worldwide by organizing and preparing food in large quantities such as salads, sauces, sandwiches, and vegetables under supervision. They will assist the cooks with the primary emphasis placed on food preparation for final meal presentation. This position reports Executive Chef, Sous Chef, Manager, Supervisor, Cook and Food Stand Lead.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Assists Lead, Cooks, Manager and Supervisor when needed
- Operates food service equipment and machines
- Maintains inventory and stock rotation
- Maintains cleanliness of food preparation and food service areas
- Assists with period end inventory
- Follows established recipes
- Use cash register as needed
- Works effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Communicates with management staff on a daily basis
- Assists guests in a courteous, friendly and professional manner
- Make Customer Service a top priority
- Adheres to the County of San Diego Department of Environmental Health standards
- Help to maintain a cohesive, friendly and productive work environment
- Compliance with the SDZWA and Health Departments uniform standards
- Maintains a passing grade on the County of San Diego Department of Environmental
- Health Food Handlers exams
- Maintains a passing grade on the Environmental Health Department tests
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is seeking an individual who is inspired to be a part of an organization that is committed to protecting wildlife around the globe. A conservation minded individual to join us in our commitment to provide opportunities to learn about, engage with best-in-class conservation work, and share how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife every day through visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
Friendly and motivated candidates with excellent guest service skills. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and be available weekends and at least two weekdays. This position requires standing for extended periods. Scheduled work hours will vary, approximately 15-30 hours per week.
- Prior work experience in a high volume, fast paced Food Service or Retail environment desirable.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Proper preparation methods for numerous types of food
- Basic usage and care of standard kitchen equipment and utensils
- Maintenance of kitchen equipment in a safe and clean manner
- Basic inventory controls and best practices
- Cash register operation as needed
- Safety and sanitation methods used in the preparation and serving of food
- Safety rules and regulations
- Guest service standards and policies
- Assist in preparation and serving of food
- Communicate effectively (verbal and written)
- Understand and carry out both verbal and written instructions
- Work in a high volume, fast-paced environment
- Multi-task and prioritize to meet the demands of business
- Work competently with large diverse groups of people
- Professionally handle difficult situations with employees or guests
- Location: San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Duration: Year round
- Union Position: Starting hourly wage $14.00
- If selected, there are union fees and dues to be paid to the Union
- Candidates must be available for an interview if contacted. Full job description may be requested at that time
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Join our team and build a career protecting wildlife around the globe with your passion for wildlife!
- Pay Type Hourly
- 15500 San Pasqual Valley Rd, Escondido, CA 92027, USA