Research Assistant- Prints Drawings Photographs
Research Assistant- Prints, Drawings, and Photographs
Summary: Assist the Curator and department colleagues with research and cataloguing of works in the permanent collection, acquisitions, and rotating exhibitions from the collection.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research the Museum’s collection by conducting art historical and provenance research to supplement information in files, paper and electronic formats
- Assist in compiling information for possible acquisitions, deaccessions, and loans
- Work with the Curator and other colleagues in the development and organization of exhibitions and rotations of the permanent collection
- Work with curatorial, archives, and registrar staff to compile and organize Registrar and Curatorial files relating to individual works of art in the collection
- Work with the registrar’s office to see that information is correctly entered into Museum’s database and document files, adhering to established standards and practices
- Assist in responding to inquiries about the permanent collection
- Confer with Curator on a regular basis to ensure accuracy of information, the use of appropriate reference material, and status of cataloging projects and other ongoing research and projects
- Research and compile information as needed to facilitate publications, installations, or exhibition-related projects such photographs and rights information, education programs, or label copy, including assistance writing and editing texts
Qualifications: B.A. in Art History or closely related subject required, M.A. preferred. Work closely with the Curator of Prints, Drawings, and Photographs and other department staff in broad-ranging research projects, relating to the permanent collection, acquisitions, and exhibitions. Familiarity with the history of works of art on paper preferred. Strong library research skills, as well as reading knowledge of one or more European languages (French, German, Italian) required. Excellent computer skills including familiarity with collections databases preferred.
Minimum of Range:$17.39/hour
Status: Part-Time (25 hours/week)
The Saint Louis Art Museum is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.
The Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly based on their abilities, achievements, and experience, without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by law.
- Pay Type Hourly
- 1 Fine Arts Dr, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA