Diesel Truck Mechanic (Nights)
NOW OFFERING A SIGN-ON/RELOCATION BONUS!
Savage is currently hiring for a Night Mechanic at our operation in Oakland, MD. In this role, you will perform minor and major repairs and assist in the preventative maintenance repairs for tractors and trailers used to transport coal and ash. You will report directly to the Maintenance Manager and will also interact with other Savage management, mechanics and drivers. On occasion you may be asked to assist another operation on a temporary basis. You may also have the opportunity to participate in the Safety Specialist program; this would most likely require travel to other locations.
At Savage, we pride ourselves on providing our Team Members with a focus on safety not typically seen in other companies. You will enjoy working in a 5S environment that is safe to work in and free of clutter while receiving top-notch safety training and procedures to ensure that everyone makes it home every night to their loved ones. Hire Right, Train Right, Treat Right…it’s the Savage way.
What you’ll be doing:
- Perform heavy and minor repairs on all trucks and trailers
- Service trucks: fuel, grease, and change oil; actively look for needed repairs
- Maintain shop cleanliness and parts inventory
- Utilize computer based diagnostic systems, skills, knowledge and experience to determine what repairs need to be done and whether it's a Mack warrantee issue
- Participate in Savage's Safety program including hot work and confined space entry permits, as well as help maintain a safe and clean work environment interface with the rest of the Company
What you’ll need:
- An expert in identifying and diagnosing needed repairs by computer based systems, being able to visually recognize problems a big plus
- 2 to 3 years of Diesel Mechanic Experience preferred. Experience with Mack trucks a plus
- Must possess own hand tools, sufficient to complete most jobs
- Skilled in using cutting torch & using a welder
- Confident with repairing suspensions, rear ends, transmissions, air brake systems, minor engine work (injectors, turbos, etc.) and more
- Knowledge of CDL a plus, but not required
- Has an invested interest in operational safety
- Be able to read, write and understand English and follow written and/or verbal instructions
- Proficient with record keeping as it pertains to maintenance
- Must be able to work without supervision
- Work will be 10 to12 hour shifts, will discuss at interview
Physical and Environmental issues:
The Mechanic will work equally in a shop environment and an onsite outdoor environment; hence, exposed to the elements. They must be able to climb, crawl, and position their body in such a way that they can perform their required duties. Should be able to frequently lift 50 lbs.
Savage has been designated as a 2021 Military Friendly Employer. Additional information on our Veteran’s Program, “Savage Patriots” can be found at https://www.savageservices.com/careers-for-veterans/.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice https://www.savageservices.com/careers/california-residents-job-applicant-privacy-notice/
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at email@example.com.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Travel Required No
- Required Education High School
- Maryland, USA
- Oakland, MD 21550, USA