Senior Manager/Director, Media Relations & External Communications
As an integral part of the Communications team, the ideal candidates will have progressive experience in media relations and a proven track record of driving earned media coverage. They must possess strong writing skills and be adaptable, agile, and ready to work in a fast-paced environment.
Candidates must have a deep desire to fight for American businesses, large and small. Political, Capitol Hill, and PR/public affairs agency experience strongly preferred. These positions require an understanding of D.C. policy-focused media. The ideal candidates—especially at the director level—will have established media relationships. Experience managing/executing digital media communication strategies is a plus.
- React to breaking news developments and oversee long-term media campaigns.
- Must consume large amounts of media and have a steady stream of ideas to insert the Chamber into ever-changing media cycles.
- Initiate, create, and deliver earned media stories that drive awareness of Chamber issues, programs, and events.
- Serve as the media contact and communications lead for a portfolio of programs and divisions.
- Leverage digital, social, and paid media to complement and enhance earned media efforts.
- Translate complex policy positions into newsy, easy-to-consume messages.
- Draft clear and concise communication materials, including press releases, media advisories, blogs, strategic plans, and executive briefings.
- Cultivate media relationships for Chamber policy experts in Washington and around the country.
- Develop creative, strategic solutions to communication challenges.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5-10 years of media relations and communications experience.
- Sophisticated understanding of business issues, policy, and how media works.
- Solid network of media contacts.
- Proven track record of managing media relationships and pitching and successfully landing or shaping stories.
- Demonstrated experience integrating social and digital with media relations.
- Ability to distill complex issues into compelling copy.
- Commitment to free markets and free enterprise.
- Familiarity with Cision or similar database and analytics software.
Salary and title commensurate with experience.
We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, marital status, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Our talent acquisition and employment policies are inclusive. We respect both the spirit and letter of the laws of equal employment opportunity.
- Pay Type Salary
- Headquarters, 1615 H Street, NW, Washington, District Of Columbia, United States of America