SUMMARY: VSE is seeking a Technician for the Network Operation Center (NOC) for the Social Security Administration (SSA). The NOC ensures the headquarters/campus, national, and international customers of the customer enterprise reach a fully staffed and trained Network Operations Center. The NOC provides proactive monitoring of essential infrastructure routers, switches, all site communication links and routers. The NOC responds to customer reports of network performance problems and effects the resolution of all WAN performance problems directly, by involving 3rd level support components, or maintenance contracts.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Use customer notification systems, network management and monitoring tools such as SMARTS, NetQos, Exchange Mailboxes and DDM Manager.
- Use customer and management notification tools, network protocol applications used to access remote devices, web resources, Change Asset and Problem Reporting System (CAPRS) and other customer applications used in NMOB.
- Monitor SMARTS monitoring system and other monitoring systems available, as well as monitor alert mailboxes to identify data/voice network, server, and application problems that may have an impact to the customers in accordance with the established timeframes in the NOC Standard Operating Procedures.
- Determine the scope and impact for data/voice network, server and application outages, and provide timely and accurate customer and management notifications using available tools.
- Monitor information posted on SSAlerts, Severity 1 report, NOC Chat Rooms, NMOB reports, and message boards in the work area, as well as be alert to current issues affecting widespread systems availability.
- Provide Tier ½ voice/data network support.
- Perform detailed problem documentation of systems incidents and outages using CAPRS.
- Perform timely escalation of systems problems/outages.
- Perform proactive and reactive troubleshooting of system problems.
- Coordinate system activities with vendors and other systems components.
- Install and/or reinstall Agency approved software on multiple platform disciplines within the SSA Enterprise Network environment.
- Provide support using common Microsoft Administration utilities such as Dell Open Manage, Server Manager, Active Directory Users, and Computers, Event Logs and Performance Monitoring.
- Assist the end-user in determination/resolution of hardware and software problems and document in incident management system.
- Create KnowledgeBase (KB) article as needed for routine problem resolution actions.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) or Comp TIA Network+
Work Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must be able to obtain a client sponsored Public Trust level of adjudication.
- Minimum of 6 months experience with Transmission Control Protocol (TCP/IP) IPv4/IPv6, very high-speed Backbone Network Service (vBNS), Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS), VoIP software/hardware.
- Minimum experience with basic troubleshooting for Cisco Routers and Switches, Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Borer Gateway Protocol (BGP), dual-carrier networks, wireless LAN/WAN networks, telecommunication circuits such as T1, DS3, OC-3, OC-12, VISTA/2003/2000/XP/NT workstation/server, Activity Directory, Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) 2.0, Microsoft Exchange/Outlook, client/server applications and mainframe systems.
- Become proficient in the use of CAPRS to detail reported incidents.
- Proficient in LAN administration and Server hardware administration.
- Preferably, 2 – 3 years of NOC experience.
- Possess strong written and oral command of the English language.
Office Location and Travel: Baltimore, MD; Durham, NC
The selected applicant will be subject to a background check and drug testing.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. VSE considers candidates regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Job Family Operations
- Job Function Network and Computer Systems Administrator
- Pay Type Hourly
- Baltimore, MD, USA
- Durham, NC, USA