Lead Mechanic- Assessment Team
VSE Corporation is seeking an Assessment Team (Lead) Mechanic with at least five (5) years of experience to fill a position in support of the Army Reserve.
Under the supervision of the Assessment Lead/Supervisor, he or she performs a full range of work involving scheduling, coordinating, tracking, and traveling to numerous predetermined military locations. Acts as the lead mechanic with the responsibility to train, supervise, and evaluate the performance of the mechanic assessment team in the performance of their duties. Additionally performs in depth equipment assessment/inspections on a variety of Army Reserve military tactical, earth moving, diesel power generators, heavy, medium, and light duty trucks, trailers, mobile and material handling equipment as well as fuel, hydraulic and electrical subsystems in accordance with pertinent technical manuals and bulletins.
MAJOR JOB ACTIVITIES:
- Perform the full range of inspection/assessment work on military/truck and trailers, ground support equipment, material handling equipment, construction equipment, and all other equipment identified by the Army Reserve customer.
- Perform inspections and checks on all types of engines, transmissions, differentials, final drives, and their suspensions.
- Perform inspection and checks on 12 and 24 volt electrical systems while using test equipment and special tools as necessary.
- Check for various levels of corrosion, paint degradation, non-serviceable components, frame/structural cracks and misalignment's, and annotate any unusual fair, wear, and tear (FWT).
- Interpret and understand technical manuals or other documentation required for the independently diagnose and troubleshoot electrical, mechanical and hydraulic faults on military equipment.
- Clearly document all Assessment/Inspection results on approved forms while ensuring to capture vehicle identification number, engine hour, and vehicle mileage for each piece of equipment. Utilize approved military or commercial computer systems as required.
- Solicits Government licensed personnel to operate equipment and records non-operational functions, fluid leaks, and any non-mission capable deficiency.
SPECIALIZED EQUIPMENT USED:
Hand tools, special diagnostic tools, gauges, and test/measuring devices.
Cell Phones, Cameras, Computers, Scanners, and Printing devices.
Dirt, dust, grease and oils are always present. There can be exposure to chemicals that may burn and irritate the skin and eyes if proper personal protective equipment is not worn. Failure to follow appropriate safety procedures could result in cuts, bruises, shocks and strains. Must comply with OSHA, EPA, installation fire prevention regulations and published company work rules. Shall have all prescribed Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE) required to perform on site field equipment assessment/inspections (i.e. safety boots, coveralls, hearing protection, and safety glasses).
PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS (INCLUDES EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND COMPETENCIES), ETC.):
- High School or equivalent (GED) diploma.
- Military Experience Preferred.
- Graduate of a Military Vocational Technical School for Series 62, 63, or 91 construction, wheel, or track mechanic, and be prepared to provide a copy of such certification upon request.
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Trade Certificate a plus but not required.
- Minimum of five years mechanic work experience with Military equipment, internal combustion engines and major chassis subsystems.
- Must have Valid Driver License and be able to maintain it.
- Secret Clearance required. Must have a minimum of an Interim Secret Clearance.
- Must pass a background check and drug screening.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Common Access Card (CAC) if required.
Work requires prolonged standing, walking, bending, climbing, and working underneath vehicles and equipment in harsh conditions. Frequent lifting up to 25 pounds with occasionally assists in lifting up to 50 pounds.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
VSE considers candidates regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Job Family Operations
- Pay Type Hourly
- Fort Bragg, NC, USA