Motor Vehicle Mechanic
Summary: VSE is looking for a Motor Vehicle Mechanic to support the Maintenance & Repair team in Ladysmith, VA.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Repairs, rebuilds, or overhauls major assemblies of internal combustion automobiles, buses, trucks, or tractors.
- Work involves most of the following: diagnosing the source of trouble and determining the extent of repairs required; replacing worn or broken parts such as piston rings, bearings, or other engine parts; grinding and adjusting valves; rebuilding carburetors.
- overhauling transmissions; and repairing fuel injection, lighting, and ignition systems.
- Requires rounded training and experience usually acquired through a formal apprenticeship or equivalent.
- Examine vehicles to find out what needs to be fixed and to estimate repair costs.
- For mechanical components, this often involves the use of computerized diagnostic equipment.
Repair damage or perform preventive maintenance, inspect the completed work and test that the vehicle's performance meets required standards.
- Communicate with customers about what has been done and why, and advise customers on general vehicle conditions and future repair requirement.
- Work on mechanical and electronic components of a wide variety of military vehicles. This includes most vehicle systems, such as fuel, brake, steering and suspension systems, transmission, differentials, drive axles and shafts, emission control and exhaust systems, engines, and electrical, cooling and climate control systems.
- Perform scheduled maintenance service, such as oil changes, lubrications and tune-ups.
- Use hand tools and specialized automotive repair equipment. Follows all established safety rules and protocols.
- Works in a safe manner to protect not only themselves, but the other workers around them.
- May be required to wear specific PPE (personal protective equipment) items dependent on specific job duties and safety policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma / GED.
- Requires verifiable rounded training and experience usually acquired through a formal apprenticeship or equivalent. May require additional certifications or requirements.
- Must be proficient in the use of mechanical practices and the associated Technical Manuals to perform troubleshooting, repair procedures and identify needed repair parts for the vehicle fleet.
- Travel is required of this position.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a background check and drug testing.
Think Analytically, Effective Verbal Communication, Effective Written Communication, Make Decisions, Observe/Examine Details, Remember Details, Interpret Data, Discriminate Colors, Concentrate on Tasks, Adjust to Changes, Handle Stress/Emotions
Regular Attendance, Maintain Work Schedule, Attend Meetings, Meet Deadlines, Keyboard/Type, Use, Math/Calculations, Stay Organized and Operate Equipment.
Stand, Sit, Walk, Talk, Climb (Stairs/Ladders), Push or Pull, Balance, Bend, Stoop, Kneel, Crouch, Craw, Reach, Talk, Hear, See, Taste, Smell, Repetitive Motion, Eye/Hand Coordination, Fine Manipulation, Lifting Up to 10 Pounds, Carrying Up to 10 Pounds
Fumes/Mists, Gases/Odors, Dust/Dirt, Wet/Slippery Surfaces, Humid, Extreme Temperatures, Mechanical Hazards, Electrical Hazards, Chemical Hazards, Radiant Energy Hazards, Burn Hazards, Vibration, Sharp Objects/Tools, Heavy Machinery, Moving Parts, Noise
- Job Family Operations
- Job Function Heavy Vehicle and Mobile Equipment Service Technicians and Mechanics
- Pay Type Hourly
- Ladysmith, VA 22546, USA